How do you stop the screaming!???!!

My son just turned one in June and he has just started over the past month screaming ALL the time over everything. I mean really screaming! It is like the most ear piercing schreech ever and he does it when he wants something, when he is mad, all the time! I don't know what to do when he does it I just want to know the best way to make him quit it!!

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 3:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i hate it when my daughter screams, she sounds like a dying teradactly (the dinosaur bird thing :)) and it penetrates into my skull and drives me insane! but i ignore her unless she wants something, and then i calmly ask what is it she wants and won't respond to her unless she tells me, shows me, or calms down. Like if she wants juice and is screaming, i will ask 'do you want more?' if she says more, drink or juice than i will get it, if she keeps screaming and whining than i ignore her, she picked up really fast to respond with words when i talk to her, but sometimes she screams, FOR FUN! laughing the whole time, running up and down the hall. they are little demons inside sweet, angelic faces :) or so it seems some days
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 7:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• #1 rule, don't give in! Try time out in the corner with a firm when you stop screaming and ask you can have a snack or something that he wants. Another thing, if he isn't using words, you could teach him baby sign language, at least the basics. You can use youtube.com and view videos there to show you some. Another thing that comes to mind is tell him when he screams NO Scream, use words, what do you want. See if you can get him to use his words not screams. I know sometimes kids do things out of finding out how to do it. Like scream because they figured out how and it's getting your attention. Just remember to not give in to the screaming, see what you can do. Good Luck. Hope these ideas help.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Pretty much not give him what he wants. Put him in a safe spot until he stops screaming, thats what I would do. My son screams but its when he is enjoying himself so I just let him do it until he does it to much and I tell him to stop. He doesn't always and thats when I leave him in his room until he stops. He usually does.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Like the others said, don't give in and tell him to use words. It's hard but you'll get there eventually.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Our neighbors thought we had a bird because our son would let out these high pitched screams! LOL It's a phasae, they are learning they have a voice and that's the only way he has to communicate his feelings with you. It will pass but in the meantime dont just give in because he's screaming, ifyou do he will continue to do it because he knows it will get him what he wants. Be consistant, and most importantly buy earplugs! LOL Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My daughter did this. Just ignore it, and don't turn around and make a face when he does it. That makes them think that doing it gets them more attention. Hang in there, I know that screech - you just want to... well, you know.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 6:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009