Would You Resort To Spanking?

Just wondered for those that do spank, do you leave it for serious offenses?

And for those who do not spank, is there something your child may do that would make you resort to a spanking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't spank. When I first had a child I held onto the idea that I might need it someday for some really serious offense, but I found that I never had to resort to that. There was always another option. So, like all the other parenting ideas that I figured out didn't suit me, I threw out that idea that there are some offenses so serious that they require physical punishment.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The only time I've been tempted to hit my child is when she's doing something to piss me off. That's when I realized that spanking is just not for me...I could easily spank my daughter just because I'm frustrated or having a hard day or something. I don't think there's ever a justifiable reason to spank my daughter. But that's just ME.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son has only been spanked 1 or 2 times for major things (dangerous things). I forget what they were because dad did them. So no we don't spank.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• For major things, yes. Sometimes, they just need a jolt back into reality.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 3:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• absolutely. They are very rare, but for extreme things.. extreme action is ok
    (consistent disobedience for a child who KNOWS and has been warned numerous times, etc...)
    Never to any child other than my own, but yes, I will spank if needed
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• forgot to add that I would also spank for dangerous things.. putting knives in electrical sockets, touching the stove..
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I spank when necessary. Sometimes for dangerous things and sometimes for not listening after 3 warnings and a time out. It just depends on what she's doing. I expect, as she gets older it'll be less and less necessary. I believe if you instill disciple when they are young, you won't have to spank when they get older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She only gets spankings when she's doing something dangerous (like playing with plugs or climbing stairs that go up high), or when she's doing something she knows better than (pulling wipes out of the box over and over and over when i tell her no, touching the computer screen, pushing buttons on the TV). She usually is awesome so she hardly gets any spankings. Today she has done all of the above tho, so I'm still pretty frustrated with her lol. I think it's a  part of discipline.

dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• For those who say, I will never spank my child, walk in the kitchen one day while little Johnny is turning on the stove, or,you are holding his hand and he pulls away from you and the car in the parking lot just missed him,not only are you screaming and praying ,but your parenting skills will jump in and tell you to talk to him and pop his fingers,I believe when people think of spankings,they think of belts,or rods like the Bible speak,spare not the rod,I and most parents are speaking on the 2 finger tap. I have seen children in grocery stores ,malls,hitting,and kicking their parents,and the parents are saying,"let's be nice,use your inside voice,I saw a child slap her mom so hard her glasses flew off and broke,while picking up her broke glasses,she asking the child,do you want your ice-cream,if,you don't spank,at least discipline,use time out method.No one really wants to punish their kids,but sometimes you must.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Anon 421, not spanking a child doesn't necessarily equal not DISCIPLINING the child. If a parent has to hit their child in order to get them to obey, what kind of discipline is that? That's called

Punishment: suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution; a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure; severe, rough, or disastrous treatment

Discipline: training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character; control gained by enforcing obedience or order; orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior; self-control;
    a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity

(Merrian Webster dictionary)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2009