Step son becoming a narcisist! Wow help!

My step some is in love with himself and has become so cocky about it, it is breaking my DH heart. He does not live with us he was raised by his mother who thinks her children can do now wrong. He says things like I am perfect, I am so good looking ..... I dont know what to do. It is driving us crazy. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Just the other day he was spouting off and I said, " where did all this cockyness come from?" What to do?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Sign him up with a modeling agency and watch him get rejected or get no jobs. Reality check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Sound like good self-esteem to me. Be happy he feel great about himself, most teens don't.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Since he loves himself so much, he needs to love and show love to others to the same extent.
    Get him talking about and give him suggestions on how to show love to others.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I do agree with a pp that stated it can be good self esteem but at the same time too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I would try talking to him and telling him that it is good to feel good about yourself just dont let it go to the point that you are puttin others down compared to yourself.
    mamasangels2009

Answer by mamasangels2009 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies who said it's great to have the high self esteem but he really needs to know that there is absolutely no reason to be so cocky about it. Your dh needs to step in and have a chat with him and let him know that it is wonderful that he feels so good about himself but he is making others feel horrible by boasting himself so high. I, as a step mom would have to stay out of it, let your dh handle this one. he may think your just being a b**** or whatever. Time for that man to son talk about how to be an appropriate person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009