Spelling. Does it matter?

ErikaRobin

Asked by ErikaRobin at 3:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• nop i theenk it shud be optyunol. Hoo cars? I dont. Its no big deel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you don't care how you're perceived by others, no it doesn't matter.

If you care, it matters.

See, what people who can't spell don't get is that others CAN spell. They know you're wrong and whether it's fair or not, right, wrong, indifferent, whatever - it DOES come across as being uneducated.

I also think it's really important to point out that there is a HUGE difference between a misspelling that could just as easily be a typo. The type of misspelling that says, "Hey, this person normally knows what they're doing. Funny they misspelled that one word." and the people whose posts are completely illegible and filled with text-chat-isms and numeric representations of words.

"Iz U lik 2 B at cmom?" is a far different thing than a single misspelled word.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• anon, u need to go back to scool. Learn hou to spel befor u come on te internat. okey!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think it is. However, it is a struggle for many children. My son is one of those kids who can't spell and despite my repeated attempts to get him to take his time he doesn't double check. I thank god that by the time he will be in high school he will have to do everything on the computer and there is spell check.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• robinsi2000
    I think it is. However, it is a struggle for many children. My son is one of those kids who can't spell and despite my repeated attempts to get him to take his time he doesn't double check. I thank god that by the time he will be in high school he will have to do everything on the computer and there is spell check.

This is true. I hope you encourage him to USE the spell-check. Maybe he'll get it though. One day it might just go *click*. Here's hoping. :)
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 3:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I  don't think it matters to the point you have to hurt someone feelings for leaving out a letter, I have seen posts where a mom seems to be crying out for help,and before a person offer any advice she's telling her,you need to  learn how to spell,so who is the more ignorant. I am disabled,because of my disabilities,it's easier for me to use capitals letters in case I write a proper noun, I was told by a mom I was stupid and computer illiterate,because writing with all capitals mean I am yelling, that really hurt me and I felted so ashamed,then I thought about it, this lady knows nothing of me,she didn't know I was disabled,or my fingers hurt really bad when I change from lower case to upper case letters. It takes me a longer time to type now,but,I refuse for someone to speak to me like that again. I think we should look at the posts and not so much at the spelling,the person just may be learning to read.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think that if you're going to be on the Internet, posting about any sort of random things, then you should check your spelling. I skip over any and all entries that I don't want to have to study before realizing what is being said. There's a spell check button. Use it. As far a children go, my brother has had major problems with his spelling. When he writes anything he spell checks it. When he was in Iraq, we only got three letters from him because it's embarrassing for him to not have a spell check. We spent hours trying to figure out what he was saying. I know it's a problem for some people. But again...use the spell check, just like everyone else.

teacher

dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• IMO it matters but spelling things correctly is a big pet peeve of mine. I drive my husband and kids nuts because I'm constantly getting on them for misspelled words. If you're not sure of the spelling look it up or use spell check.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Of course it does! No matter in what are you're asking...on message boards, for your kids to learn, when writing a letter to a relative, friend or potential employer...

I tend to ignore the posts of those who intentionally use chatspeak. It makes them look stupid and I don't have time to decipher what they're trying to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I really hope all the the ladies who hate to see mis-spelled words aren't teachers,because an educator would be fair and understanding,like myself. There are people struggling everyday with reading and writing,have you ever volunteer in a reading setting,when illiterate people learn to read and write ,it give me so much excitement and joy just to see them trying. Like someone else said,a person can be feeling awful,but,by the time she is ridiculed for spelling,she's feeling worse,this is a mothers group,we are to help each other,not put down others,just think about it,you send your child to school,he come and tell you,everyday the kids pick on me because,I'm fat,or I stutter,how would you feel. I have seen mothers post ,please don't bash my spelling,I just came to the US,and because of ignorance,someone will bash.If, you're not going to help the person ,be quiet.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009