What do I feed my 8 Month Old?

My son is 8 months old, and he does not have any teeth yet. I just started him on Stage 3 foods, and he eats the whole jar. Is that too much? He hasn't been drinking much formula for a while now. I give him cereal twice a day, and meats and veggies for his lunh. Any other ideas on what to feed him?

Asked by NewMomDee01 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is almost 8 months, and he doesn't have teeth yet either. he handles the pureed foods really well, and seems a little bored with them. so I decided to try small pieces of food that he can mash up with his tongue or gums....bananas, avocado, mango, peaches, sweet potato, etc. I'd try something like a banana that you already have in your home to see how he reacts to the texture. and start with a small piece--you don't want him to choke. once he's used to it, you can give him pieces that are a little bigger. I also give my son Gerber puffs (puffed rice cereal) because it melts in his mouth. he's been eating those since about 6 months, and he will "chew" those with his gums. I have even given him small pieces of meat and french fries or whatever else I'm eating now that he's used to handling pieces of food. he seems to really like it.

Answer by sbailey at 11:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Your baby will tell you if it's too much or too little.. He's growing up, so he will drink less and eat more.

Bananas were always a hit at this age, Gerber Puffs & Crunchies, let him start picking foods up if you havent already, at this age the pincer grasp developes ( holding food between index finger and thumb )

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When my son was 8 months old he was on table food only basically. So whatever I ate I gave him. He did have 4 teeth by this point but it was only front teeth. Babies don't need teeth to eat food for their gums are hard and they can mash food up with those.

Answer by purpleducky at 1:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I agree with purpleducky! My daughter was 5 months old her first Thanksgiving we let her try almost everything on the table by 8 months she was on mostly grown up food. I gave her tortellini cooked to mush she loved it with spinach it was her favorite, then she loved mashed sweet potatoes of course now she is almost 4 and all she will eat is Ramen noodles, pizza and chicken nuggets!

Answer by momto1727 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Teeth are not an indicator of being able to chew. Babies can grand food with their gums. Not having teeth has no bearing on what he can eat.

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I give my daughter homemade food, applesauce I steam and peel the skin. I also made her snap peas, a mix of cauliflower bell pepper and garlic, pureed bananas, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, carrots and im going to steam some spinach soon for her too.

Answer by Mom2LeviElena at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• my son is 7 months and he will sometimes eat a full jar of stage 2 and a fruit from stage 1 or two stage 2's it just depends on how hungry he is and so eat a 4oz bottle and my boy is not even close to being a fat baby if you are worried about him being over weight from eating so much.

Answer by LauraLeeTo at 12:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2008