HCG levels are going back up

I am not sure if you remember my post from yesterday but below is an update.

I decided to go to the doctor today to have another blood test. I just got off the phone with them and my levels are going up again but not much. She said that most likely I had a twin that did not make it. However since the levels did not go up much, I am at risk for another ectopic pregnancy. I have to go in tomorrow for more blood work. She mentioned that they are going to treat me with methotrexate to kill the fetus. My husband wants to hold off on the treatment since the levels are going back up. The level went from 117 to 137 in 24 hours. Should I wait or should I trust the doctors? My appointment is at 7:00am tomorrow. I am so crushed right now.

JenaElliott

Asked by JenaElliott at 3:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, your body will naturally absorb the suspected dead fetus- however your numbers should double every 48 hours, and it didn't even go up HALF of that in about 24, I would say its not looking good, but I will pray for you, I'm very sorry your having to deal with this. I no its not easy.

Miscarriages are at no fault of the mother (usually) if your having one its probably the best thing, and I no that's not what you want to here, but usually miscarriages occur because of a geneticabnormality with the fetus.  In the end, IF you should miscarry, it was probably best for baby. Again, Im sorry your dealing with this, my prayers are with you and baby!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The general rule of thumb for hcg rates rising is approximately doubling in 48 hours. In general, that is more likely to indicate a viable pregnancy. Rates can continue rising slowly even in an ectopic pregnancy or a pregnancy where the baby has passed. I had a missed m/c (the baby passed early but my body did not figure it out right away and I continued to carry the baby for about five weeks) and my hcg continued rising slowly that whole time. However the increase was not enough to indicate a healthy pregnancy- just that I still had tissue from a pregnancy in my body. I'm sorry, but going from 117 to 137 in 24 hours is not a rate that would suggest a healthy pregnancy. Talk to your doctor before undergoing any medical treatment, but at this point I would be most concerned about protecting YOUR health and future fertility. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Many ((HUGS))!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I am so sorry. I think I would wait unless your doctor feels you are in some immediate danger. While the numbers are that low it seems it might be possible that the lost twin's HCG is decreasing faster than the remaining twin's is rising (I'm not a doctor, but that does seem possible and it would skew your blood test results). I really would wait a few days for another blood test before allowing methtexate treatment. I wish you the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would hold off like your husband said and have your levels tested again in a couple days. I would wait to get an ultrasound and see what's going on before taking any pills. I'm sorry hun
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009