Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Hello! I am 40w 5days and my doctor wants to try to induce me Monday. The problem is, is the baby is not engaged properly yet. She says she may wait as long as possible since he isn't, but I can't carry him too much longer. He is too big to safely carry over term too long. I'm terrified of being induced... has anyone got any advice or anything? I'm a FTM and this is alll new...


Asked by Emuu at 3:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 3 (20 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I was induced because I didn't have enough amneotic fluid in there anymore for it to be safe for the baby. I had a petocin drip. It was my first baby, a year and 4 days ago LOL and I am pregnant with my second. So I didn't have anything to compare it to. But the contracitons did get so bad I said...I'll take that epideral now please!!!! It was like the contractions were one on top of the other. But I had a great anestesiologist and the epideral was just enough to get through. And to be honest, I can't even tell you exactly how painful it was. Your body truely does forget LOL

    Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I was induced and it was actually nice. I enjoyed knowing when I was going in and not having to rush it. The only thing is that the contractions are stronger and the process may be a little longer. IF its safe to do then I would do it for your baby.

    Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • personally, i would wait. really you're not "overdue" until you're over 42 weeks. estimates on the baby's weight can be off as much as 5 lbs.
    you can try things to help get the baby engaged properly. pelvic rocks, pelvic rolls, lunges, squats, belly binding (have it looser on top and tighter on the bottom, it helps move baby's head),

    Answer by mommytobobby at 3:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • A babies size does not make them not safe to carry over term! Worst case, he gets too big and you have a section but that doesnt make him unsafe to carry!! The only thing you really need to worry about is that your fluid level is good. If he is too big, he may never fully engage which will mean you need a section.

    I am all for inductions (medical or natural) and have had 2 myself. But if your baby is not engaged then you are risking a higher chance for a section.

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I think it would be great to wait until you meet the average first-time gestation at the very least (41 weeks, 1 day).
    Besides, 38-42 weeks is simply an average length of pregnancy, women will fall outside this average all the time, no big deal! :-)

    All decisions are up to you, so I encourage you to get a hefty list of questions and ask them asap. Even research those responses against what you can find from books, websites, other care providers...
    Many moms are induced these days and it does not better the overall health of babies, it simply adds convenience to the practitioner. I do have a lot of info on induction, I am happy to share. You can weigh the risks & benefits, ask questions and make a better informed decision (THIS IS SO IMPORTANT).

    Let me know, hun!

    Answer by doulala at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Inducing for suspected Big Baby?

    The probably more common approach is for OBs to suggest moms be induced because their babies are getting too big.  Many moms at the end of their pregnancy are feeling uncomfortable and are looking for a way to get this baby out, the sooner the better.  They are not told the risks of induction, not told their Bishops Score, nor told they are possibly setting themselves up for a cesarean. 


    Answer by doulala at 5:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • (cont.)

    Let us also remember that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists do not recommend induction for a big baby, let alone cesarean. Big babies are also known as macrosomia. They have recently found that in addition to it being really difficult to tell the big babies from the regular sized babies via ultrasound, that when you induce a woman who is suspected to have a large baby, she is more likely to have a cesarean section.  So it is better to just let nature take its course and all will be well.  Especially if the mom is able to move around and push in more upright positions. Big Baby Balogna


    Answer by doulala at 5:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009