How is a 9 month old left alone in a DAY CARE?

A 9-month-old baby was left alone at a locked Rhode Island daycare center for nearly an hour when workers shut the place down for the night, apparently forgetting the child was there. How in the world, if you have taken care of a child ALL DAY, do you forget the child han't been picked up yet? The owner states that the mother forgot to sign her child in, but excuse me, HER employee had seen the baby boy repeatedly throughout the day! If this were my child and they had left him alone for 45 minutes because they forgot, there would be hell to pay. The owner calls it a "crazy mistake". I'm sorry but shouldn't these people have been paying closer attention to these children they've been hired to honestly care for? I would be murderous. And I would sue them until they were no longer even allowed to think of having a child care license!

laynesmommy08

Asked by laynesmommy08 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I cant believe that! Did they take care of it the whole time it was there? anybody could have just walked in and taken that baby and nobody would be any wiser
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm assuming they knew he was there all day. He was in a crib crying when the mother and a neighbor to the daycare broke inside!
    laynesmommy08

Answer by laynesmommy08 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• im also wondering if daycare was closing...why hadnt the mother come by yet to pick up her kid????
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• How do you not notice the babys there either.. For a 9 month old you better be eye sight away from that baby. I would sue to. You are putting your baby in the hands of those care takers and if they aren't responable to keep count of ther kids and make sure they are all signed in even if the mom forgets then there is something wrong. Even at the the ymca daycare I use to work at that wasn't licensed, we had to take count every hr. to make sure we werent missing a child or someone forgot to sign in or whatever the case may be. This is a so called licensed day care...I would think twice letting my child go there after that case.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• They may not BE licensed. I know its crazy but here in Alabama there are licensed daycares, that the state is required to monitor, and then there are church daycares, they have ZERO people to answer too. Its insane what they can get away with. To work in a licensed daycare you have to at least have a HS diploma or a GED, a criminal background check, there is a limit to how many children each teacher can have per age of child (1 teacher for every seven 2 yr olds), so many toys per child, bathroom in every room...ect ect. ANd we would get checked yearly. Church daycares are free for alls. MY SIL has SIXTEEN 2 yr olds in her class!! Its something to do with the separation of church and state, but its nuts b/c if these were personal homes DHR would make sure of safety...I don't know. I wonder if that had something to do with it.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The parents did not sign the baby in and the daycare closer did not know the baby was there. It doesn't mean the baby was neglected all day, it means that there wasn't communication between the morning and afternoon staff. When daycares close at night they generally migrate into one room and have one person there to close up shop, whoever cleared out the infant room did not relay the message. She checked the sign-in/out sheets and assumed everyone was gone b/c the parents did not sign the baby in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Even though that may be true, this is a nine month old that just "slipped through the crack" so to speak?
    laynesmommy08

Answer by laynesmommy08 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There are some instances in life where it is not ok to say, "oops sorry" or" that was your fault because you didn't sign in." They are paid to watch these children, some of whom are obviously babies. Their lives are in the daycare employees hands. For the owner to even think saying the mother forgot to sign in is an excuse is b.s. Was there no one at the front desk to make sure everyone signs in? There definitely should have been. And here is a good idea to practice in daycare centers - Assume Nothing, always double check.

wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• When I workedin daycare some 25 years ago. The ratio in the "infant" room was very small. the same employees worked the ROOM everyday.

In the center i worked in, the closer it got to closing time, the closer we moved to the front door. the babies STAYED in their own room with the appropriate staff. Once all the kids and babies were gone. We RECHECKED every room, and bathroom.

The director was a TWIT to deflect the blame on the parents. Your center, your staff, YOUR MISTAKE.

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Is there a news article I can read? What time did the daycare center close?
    From only this information I think it should be closed down. But I don't know the whole story.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 5:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2009