Sahm's, What Do Your Kids Do During the Summer?

Just wondering how most kids of SAHM's spend their summer. I know most children of working moms go to day long camps. Do you send your kids to many camps as well? If so are the full or half day? Are you mainly going places with them or do they mostly stay home, and if at home are they playing with neighborhood kids or mainly by themselves or with siblings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stay at home mostly and play outside. We also take time out of the day three times a week to stay fresh on what they learned from the previous year in school. My older son also played baseball. Only place we will be going to is Kiddie Park next week.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oh and my kids just play together. We are on a main street with no other kids.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Mine spend the summer outside playing with their friends (when they are around...the public schools go year round so most of their friends are in school in the summer and have just 1 month off), riding bikes up and down the block and swimming in our pool in the back yard.
    We really didn't go anywhere or do anything this summer (or last) because we didn't have the money. They didn't do any camps or classes. I actually turned down summer school for my 7yo son. He would have gotten it free because he is having a hard time learning to read but he was so stressed out from the school year I thought it better for him to have a vacation then spend 4 hours a day, 5 days a week in school while his sisters enjoyed the summer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes, day camps with part-time schedules. They were art/Waldorf based and the 2 siblings attended together. A blast! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• swim
    play with neighbors
    zoo
    library
    IMAX & museum
    VBS at church
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Playing with the neighbor children, sometimes taking turns and sometimes just happening to get together.

Visiting the library, sometimes for story hour and sometimes just to explore the books.

Swimming lessons. Other classes suitable for their age, such as typing, insect identification and so forth at the local college. Lifesaving lessons.

Swimming- we had a pool membership.

Scouts.

We had the policy that they would work in the mornings, and the afternoons and evenings were their own. So they helped in the garden, cleaned their rooms, did some simple math problems, swept the sidewalks, folded laundry, whatever needed to be done that they could handle, and then after lunch they played.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They do it all....I try to plan a lot of family outings like camping, swimming, picnics, etc. But they do spend a lot of time just playing with the nieghbor kids at the playground in my Apt complex.
    arcox79

Answer by arcox79 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My kids are in year round school, so it's only a 4 week break but they play outside with their friends a lot, and then two-three times a week we go on outings - bowling, museums, planetarium, rollerskating, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We homeschool year round, so he is basically on the same schedule in the summer as he is the rest of the year.
    Arianna

Answer by Arianna at 1:27 AM on Aug. 17, 2009