Do you ERF? If so did you keep the bar up on your infant seat?

I see all the time people talking about how much safer it is for you to ERF. I didnt but I dont see anything wrong with it if you do. However I want to know. If you ERF did you leave the carry bar up on your infant seat? I had a woman walk up and tell me how horrible it was that I allowed my kids to be forward facing in their car seats and I was risking their safety but then she put her infant seat in the car and left the carry handle up. All I could think was does she not realize that she is putting her own childs safety at risk if she gets in an accident. Before anyone says its not unsafe too, I have cops that I worked with in a program I was in that would tell you different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, most babies are out of their infant seats with the bar before a year old, so ERF wouldn't even apply with those types of seats. My daughter is 13 months and still rearfacing. We are rearfacing at least until 2 years old. She has a convertible seat, so there is no bar.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with leaving the infant carry bar up.. my daughter could sit all the way up in her carseat and not hit her head on it.. (when we used it) But once she hit the 20lb mark we moved her to a convertible seat, and she is ERF. She's 22lbs now.. a little over a year.. and we will use the convertible seat until she is either 2 or hits the 35lb weight limit of the seat.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oh I know that I ment when they were little and in the infant seat. My daughter was out of the infant seat at 6 months and my son was at like 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• For those of us who don't really know... What is ERF?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I had to put the handle down when I put her in! Just so she could see farther basically and so I could look at her cute little face again before I got into the car! I forward faced at 12 mos and 23 lbs. The car seat we had was able to rear face, but my car wasn't big enough to fit it that way! I have the one with the "roller coaster" bar across the lap and the roof of my car wasn't high enough that way to get her in and out as she got bigger! I bought a new car just before she turned a year and it is VERY low. Too bad we don't have $ or I would have gotten either a new car seat or a SUV!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ERF- extended rear face
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I always locked the bar into place before leaving. I never understood why stores sell car seat toys that attach to the handle. It's unsafe to leave the handle up, so that would make the toys unsafe to use while driving.

I don't know that you'd consider me an ERF. I rear faced until about 19 months when my daughter was big enough to forward face + a pound or two incase she fluctuated.

For those that don't see anything wrong with it. -- The instruction manual says to put it down. It doesn't say way, but I suspect that the handle could come off during an impact and become lodged in the child or just hit the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ERF or not, it doesn't matter! You cannot ERF in an infant seat unless you have a TINY petite little thing.

That said, the manual on mine when they PROPERLY fit in it said NOT to leave the handle up.

Think of this...handle up, rollover crash, roof hits handle and shoves it DOWN ONTO THE KID. Gee, why shouldn't the handle be left up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I knew you cant ERF with an infant seat. My point is that they say how much safer ERF is but then leave the bar up when they do use the infant seat and put down the moms who dont ERF for not keeping our kids safe (at least in my experience)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Not all infant carriers require you to put the handle back. You would have to read the manual and see what it says! So for all you know, she could have been completely in the right by leaving the handle up.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 11:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009