Online college of local college,what would you do?

Ok I just spoke to an advisor for an online school and found out that I will be able to get a degree in what I am passionate about,Criminal Justice and Im very excited. Now if I choose to go to a local college I wont be able to get a degree in CJ unless I want to trnsfer to a school that is 2 hours away,so with 4 kids thats impossible.So I would have to settle with taking a nursing course.Dont get me wrong,that would be just as good but Im not passionate about it. So wgat would you do,trust an online school for the degree you really want or go to a local college & settle for the next best thing ?

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Which online school is it?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• AIU
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you're passionate about it, then you will obviously put in the work that it takes to take an online course. They are more difficult, because you have to be very disciplined.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I was going to go to school there for Photography. I am glad I didn't because I would have been seriously in debt since it was going to cost $20,000 a year to go. I am not sure how expensive their online colleges are. Have you considered taking online classes through a local college for the first two years? You will be taking most of your general classes such as English, Science, History, Math, etc at both so you may want to go the less expensive route for now and then transfer to AIU. If you do this just make sure that every class you take will transfer to AIU. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Maybe you can do the 2 yrs at the local school then pick a school that you can do online classes at to finish the rest. If not do what you want the most and can afford.
    Good luck.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I tried applying to an online school for Interior Design, and it turns out, it would have cost $80, 000.00 just to get a certificate. I'm not trying to discourage you, but be very careful. I was so dissapointed because it's going to take me a million years to finish school. Ugh!
    Karenjm

Answer by Karenjm at 4:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I did do the online schooling for Health and Human Services...I don't know about you, but I ended quitting (now paying back my loans) because I am more of a hands on learner. It was hard for me to get on the computer and read literally 25 pages at a time...I won't say I'm dumb, I'm not, but I'm not the kind of person that can learn just by reading something. I would say that it all depends on your learning experience. Is there anyone in your town that you might be able to get help from if you need it? Good luck in whatever you decide!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 5:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My husband received an Associate's degree in Business and his Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice from AIU and they worked him hard, which was good because he learned so much and became so much more disciplined with his time and priorities. In fact, he worked on both degrees while he was in Iraq for several deployments, which speaks leaps and bounds for AIU.
    They were unable to help him with what he needed for his Master's degree so he has switched to a local college, but he really liked AIU.
    I am working on my third degree at CTU, which is also another wonderful online university.
    I wish you all the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009