My pediatrician said that since my 6 month old wasn't minding drinking water that I didn't need to supplement with juice before the age of 12 months. She usually has about 2 ounces maybe a tiny bit more per day in her sippy cup. However, my friend just told me that her pediatrician said to not give babies water except for a few sips because it can flush the salt out of thier kidneys and give them seizures! Has anyone else heard of this?

She has a 4 1/2 month old baby, and goes to a different Pediatrician than I do.

JanMichelle

Asked by JanMichelle at 4:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dr also told me a little was ok. Just listen to your childs dr
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• No, not true. It's fine to give them some water in a sippy cup to get them used to it for transition. A newborn that drinks only formula shouldn't have a lot of excess water but a baby that eats babyfood, etc can have some water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• No I haven't. I gave my baby water she is now 13. The little kids I babysit for 8months and 10months drink water and have been for some time nothing has happened so far, I would like to here more about it though. I hope you can get your answer. Good Luck
    erinsmom1130

Answer by erinsmom1130 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There is a HUGE difference between a 4 month old and a 6 month old.

A little water for a 6 month old is okay (as stated by YOUR pediatrician)

A little water is "okay" but a bit more risky (for lack of a better word) for a 4 month old...and it can throw off the balance of their systems (as stated by HER pediatrician)

4 month old and 6 month old having water...apples and oranges. Same family (fruit) but two different things.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• not sure about the water part but I know that several peds have told us not to put juice in a sippy cup especially that young it is not good for their gums and/or teeth that are coming in , but if you do brush their teeth/gums right after, we learned this the hard way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Both of them are right.

YOUR ped is talking about babies over 6 months.
    HERS is talking about babies under 6 months.

So each of them are right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Not sure about the salt thing. I think if all they drank was water there mgiht be an issue. but the reason I was told not to give water is becuase their tummys are tiny and really need to fill it with nutreition since they don't much each time. Don't want baby filling up on water then not eating. But as you have stated, once old enough, water isn't a big deal in small quantites. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I was told not to give water because of the same reason. My ped. said that the formula has enough water in it when you mix it together.
    a_bai04

Answer by a_bai04 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have heard that - anyone at any age can die of water intoxication if they drink too much (this was in the news a year or so ago b/c a mother died from a radio promotion giving away tickets to who could drink the most water in a set period of time), but it's fine to give a 6 month old a few ounces of water. That's what I gave my son when he was 6 months to get him started on a sippy, it's great for practice!

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It's a good idea to introduce water fairly early. It's a bad idea to only give water. As long as you are giving her the needed formula and food throughout the day she should be fine. On another thought, if she were to ever get sick and seem dehydrated, pedialyte is better then water for the electrolytes.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009