How to tell my husband I have PPD

I was diagnosed with depression, probably PPD and am taking Zoloft for it. But I haven't told my hubby because his mom is a big pill popper. All he knows is that my sex drive is back and I am WAY calmer. I don't know how to tell him. Any advice? Should I even tell him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• He should have figured something was up when the crying, mood swings, etc stopped. Especially when the sex drive came back. You are his mother for one thing, he should understand that. Popping pills and taking them for a legit problem are 2 totally different things
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• you shouldnt hide something like this...he is your husband and should understand you are doing it to better yourself...no other reason...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my midwife told my DH because I asker her to. I knew taht she would be able to explain it to him and answer any questions that he had
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• he will find out on his own. but you can tell him.... if he starts to notice. i never told my husband he found out on his own... he was okay with it!!!! and then he understood me better. but i was never diagnose..
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 5:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Tell him you have PPD. He won't know what it is. If he wants to know more he'll ask and if he doesn't then you don't have to tell him what it is.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You need to tell him. You can't hide something like this from your husband. If you don't tell him and he sees pills, what do you think he would think then? He might jump to conclusions BECAUSE his mom is a pill popper. Better come clean. There is nothing wrong with seeking help if you need it.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 7:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You should definately tell your husband that you are taking medication. PPD is a real illness and I am sure he will be sympathetic towards the situation. Honesty is always the best way to go because if you don't tell him and he finds out that could cause problems in your marriage. Just be honest..
    misscindy726

Answer by misscindy726 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You should just tell him. It's not like you're a pill popper.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009