this is for christians

My step daughters mother is a christian , she has told her that people with tattoos go to hell (her father and i both have tattoos) and that she can't go to chucky cheese because they stamp your hand and "that is what the devil does" is this comman christian belief or is she twisting it to fit her own ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are many many denominations of Christianity, and this a common belief held in varying degrees. Most don't go so far as to ban Chuck E. Cheese, but no tattoos is a very common thing, especially among your Evalangelical and Fundamentalist-type churches, churches common in the southern states. In the book of Revelations one of the signs is that non-believers will be made to bear "the mark of the beast".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• oh pulease...
    thats going overboard! Sorry but thats umm pretty sad. No God doesnt look at the body but at the heart motives. Now if you got a tat before you were saved and its an ungodly one. God is not going to hold it against you. I would be more concerned for the persons soul than what they have on their body!
    I guess if she saw Todd Bentley she would think he is going to hell. He is a powerful and anointed evangelist who made a few mistakes but repented and is being restored, he has tattoos all over and they are things that have to do with Christ. Some of them are very well done!
    I wouldnt recommend getting that many but a couple is fine just as long as your heart is honoring God!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• :-O
    Yeah, wow. I agree Shan, that's way overboard.

I went to school with a kid who condemned Pokemon. He said that his mom said it was "of the devil." *rolls eyes* So is Dora and X-Men and Barney, according to some people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm very sorry to hear that this mother has someone missed the nature and meaning of Christianity as a whole. People (Christians) have varying different beliefs on tattoos, especially since there is very little mention of it in the Bible. Tattoos are somewhat talked in the Old Testament, but they were very different than that tattoos of today. People are not welcomed in Heaven or sent to hell simply based on art on the body. That seems crazy to even think about. Christianity (going to Heaven) is about believing and having a relationship with Jesus Christ.....Tattoo or no Tattoo. As for the Chuckie Cheese thing....I'm laughing. A stamp of a mouse on the hand has nothing to do with the Devil. It seems to me that this person is looking at Christianity based on superficial things...It's much more than that. I hope this somehow helps. What she is saying is NOT common Christian belief.
    carriebad

Answer by carriebad at 4:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think it is a little overboard...

BUT at the same time are you sure she's not saying "devil" in replacement of unsafe? I know there are several times I've read of places like Chucky Cheese and other such play areas, where dangerous things have been found in and around where children play such as needles, pee, blood etc.

I can't speak for her, and this may not be the case at all. But it may be something to ponder when she says certain things.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Growing up, there was a family next door. They didn't play cards, b/c that was the devils work, like poker, so no cards at all, not even go fish. They couldn't say the word dog, b/c backwards that was god, and that was blastfamy, and on and on with the crazy over-exagerations of religion. The father was even a preacher at a church...he invited us. No thanks, we liked our normal church.

People twist what they want out of religion for their own insanity or meansof control &/or reasoning, not all poeple of coarse, but i think that's where the terms bible thumper and such come from. As i remember, this man used to stand on his lawn, with bible in hand, thumping it with his other hand, and qouting it...to who i don't know? We weren't allowed outside to play when he was doing this!!!

we go to chuck e cheese (the stamps do wash off), i'm a good person, and i'm sure not going to hell (if there is one).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ive heard the tattoo thing lots of times, but personally think its over the top.

but the Chuck E Cheese thing is just sad and not a mainstream Christian belief. however...i do remember a person at church getting angry at me for writing on my hand as a kid. i dunno, every denomination has its crazies!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• maybe have her talk to your pastor to help her understand your beliefs a little more too? If her mom believes that, fine, her choice, but her views shouldn't alienate or cause fear for you daughter.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i'm a Christian and have tats... and even if u dont believe tats are okay.. the chucke cheese thing is way over the top.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• As for tattoos....if a person had one before becoming a Christian then they are forgiven if they are sorry. But, as for Christians getting so-called Christian tattoos, well, that's not right. Tattoos are a Pagan practice. Deuteronomy 12:4 You must not worship the Lord your God in their way.

Getting tattoos is such a thing of the flesh. We are not supposed to live according to the flesh and it's desires. How do some Christians get it so mixed up and say tattoos are okay, and then you get the other mixed up Christians that say a Chuck e Cheese stamp is evil?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009