What do I Do?

I was just at the grocery store, and it seemed like every person I passed started grabbing my baby's hands and touching his face, then getting right in his face talking to him, then asking me every question in the world about him. I don't want to be rude, but I ended up being in the store for close to 2 hours! Any suggestions on how to politely get past all the people. The questions don't bother me so much as people touching him and getting so close to his face.

Tx_Mom09

Asked by Tx_Mom09 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• i just ignore them they usually walk away lol. or i smile then go back to ignoring them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• if he is still young enough to be in a carrier than cover it with a light blanket...good way to shield him from prying eyes....lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You could pretend to be on the phone or just huntch down and talk to your baby while pushing the cart and when you notice people going for him start talking to him more and keep strolling by.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I always just smiled && kept walking. If you don't stop, they can't talk to you.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I keep it short... it happens to both my kids... (my friends get kinda mad, lol.) good luck
    I_am_Blessed

Answer by I_am_Blessed at 4:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You can either just walk away or wear your baby in a sling. This way they cannot see him or touch him. My boys loved to be carried and did much better in the stores if they were close to me.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 5:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I can't stand when people touch my kids. I was in the store once and this old man was chatting up my son, then a year old...and telling me how cute he was...that's fine, but he was rubbing his hair...then the old man tells me that he had been in his house for a week with a terrible flu!!! Ignorance!

Now, I just ignore it. You can read the body language if they are intending on stopping and talking to your kids. I just keep on moving. Unfortunately, my kids are very friendly. But I did teach them to keep all arms and legs inside the cart. If someone is persistent, I just politely say "Excuse me" and walk away.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 5:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009