Did you know that the Ice Cream Truck sound makes children with Autism cry?

I mean literally cry. I was at my friends house the other day and his son started to cover his ears and act agitated when we hear the Ice Cream Truck it was unfortunate that the truck had to park nearby . Mom said that it has to do with the way the child with Autism hears things. I didn't know this, if anyone knows any information I didn't want overwhelm my friend with questions. My niece is working towards a special ed certificate and we were wondering what kind of problems autistic children have. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• IDK but it is so hard to understand how a melody or whatever it is that most of children love with affect these children. OP

Ahhh, but to YOU it's a melody. To someone autistic, it's a jarring cacophony that jangles senses and just. won't. stop. It can be physically painful, as well as mentally and emotionally so, all at the same time. Try thinking of the one main thing that shreds your last nerve and sets your teeth on edge without fail...now imagine that feeling ramped up to the 100th power while you are trapped in a strait-jacket and manacled to a wall. There ya go. That's ALMOST it for many of us. And this is our lives every day.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Many children with autism have varying differences in sensory thresholds. Some don't like to be touched, as it overwhelms their systems. Others don't like noise, as it's too much for them.

It's not surprising to me.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Chistaberk thank you. IDK but it is so hard to understand how a melody or whatever it is that most of children love with affect these children. I really have so much respect for all the families with children with autism. I was at her house for about 1 hour and I just can't believe how come there is nothing that can be done. I can't imagine having my child in that kind of state everytime the ice cream truck comes by our house. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I don't like loud or incessant noises, but I don't always have to get away from them. Some I do, some I don't, and I was that way as a kid, too. I've never been able to stand getting wet. Being wet is okay, but the going from dry to wet, and how long it takes my skin to feel right again after being wet -- that's the problem. And touch...having to touch people, people touching me, many fabrics touching my skin, anything both warm and squishy, anything wet (of course) and many food touching other foods or foods blanket-covered with sauces. I also have a great deal of trouble looking at people and interacting with them socially at any time, even many people I know.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I myself have auditory sensitivity to a lot of sounds. High pitch squeals on tv's and computers will drive me nuts. Test taking in school was hard when we were in the computer lab with monitors on and the computers off, I'd walk in the classroom and have to find the monitor and shut it off or I wouldn't hear a word the teacher said. Same with the tv if I'm in one of those moods I have to leave the room to get away from it or just shut it off if the kids aren't in the room. There are times the rattle of a plastic candy wrapper will make my stomach flip flop. I have a CM friend who has a son with autism and their door bell startles him and it takes him time to calm down. I think the best thing the mom can do is if there is a known schedule for the ice cream truck is to try to distract the child before hand, reassure him that it will be gone soon and lend a supportive hand.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• A doubt *every* child with autism does that, but I think first poster nailed it. Each person has differing threasholds and reacations. So to one child it may be that sound and another it may be touch or something else all together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• as the above poster stated. My ds does not scream to hear such noises, he has to see them, he freaks out if he can not what is causing the sound. It goes from one end of the spectrum to the other with autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• A lot of times, SPD accompanies Autism. It can either stand alone or in conjunction with Autism...and just because a kid has one doesn't necessarily mean he has the other.

It's the way the senses of an SPD person process input. It can affect all the senses or just one.

That's what it sounds like to me. It's not so much his Autism doing it, but the SPD. I have two kids with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Like the 1st responder said... I dont think that applies to EVERY child with autism.... im sure each child has their own things that set them off since they are all different and each have different things that they are sensitive to. Thats sad though. As a parent I would feel so helpless in situations like that... knowing that something that was beyond my control was causing my child so much anguish. I feel for them both.
    Annabelle_Lee

Answer by Annabelle_Lee at 5:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It doesn't usually apply to every single child with autism, however some sort of sensory issues are common. However, sensory issues can range from visual perceptual difficulties to being over sensitive or under sensitive to sounds, foods, touch etc.....

My son is 12, and after having occupational therapy for several years, his sound sensitivity decreased drastically. When we moved to TN almost a year ago ( a MAJOR MAJOR change in his life) he regressed back to that. Now the sound of really loud hand dryers in a public restroom will make him cringe, he covers his ears and gets very scared. And my son is considered "high functioning"

So reallly, it's a HUGE spectrum, and what happens one day might not happen the next, and what happens with one child may not happen with another. It TRULY is a puzzle.

Hope this helps....
    kylesmom2007

Answer by kylesmom2007 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009