to the women who have gad the rhogam shot

I finally got my shot today, and I was reading on the package that it said exp. date Aug.14,09.
but then it said Directive exp.2/12/11.
what does that mean? the lady that gave it to me told me that if I didn't take it today, it wouldn't work and I would have to get the blood drawn all over again. but what does the 2nd exp. date mean? Does it mean if I get pregnant again b4 2/12/11 I wont have to take another shot

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure what the two dates mean, but you will need another shot if you get pregnant again. The shots are only effective for a few months (3 or 4 months I think). I had one shot after a miscarriage, and then I was pregnant about 3 months later. I had to have one at the beginning of the pregnancy due to bleeding, one around the the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd trimester, and another after the baby was born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• When you're RH Negative you will have to take a shot every pregnancy (unless you choose to take the risks) around 28 weeks. And after delivery you wil also have to have another shot to ensure that you don't have any issues carrying another baby if you choose to get pregnant again.

I do not know what the dates on the box mean. I would directly ask your doctor and have him explain it in depth as you are concerned about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yeah, I'd ask the Dr or nurse what the dates meant. But you will need another shot with another pregnancy. I had to have another shot when I went over 40w, and then another after delivery (but you'll only need one after delivery if your baby's blood is rh+, if it's rh- you shouldn't need it)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The first date is the date that it expires for YOU. It is only protective for so long . The second date is the expiration date of the product :-) In other words, they can not give anyone that particular one after 2011 (Just like food).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I hope I made sense. I am Rh negative, too. I had to get it alot during my last pg because of unexplained bleeding.
    babycakes254

• yea Im rh -
    and my baby is rh +
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009