I saw a lady today and I was wondering if it was ok what she put on her newborn

I was a my ob's office, and this lady came in with a newborn (she said her daughter was only 3days old) and I noticed she had shoes on. is that okay? b/c I have bought tons of shoes (I know that she will grow out of them, but they're all so cute) and my mom, grandmother and mother-in-law told me she can't wear shoes until later on, but its okay for her to wear the booties.
so is it okay for a new newborn to wear shoes, even if they are the soft soles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes shoes are 100% fine. They are not needed but fine.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Shoes are perfectly fine. Only for decoration at this point, but fine nonetheless. Shoes become an issue when they start walking. It is best to let them learn how to walk well WITHOUT shoes firts and then with shoes afterward.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 5:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Why the heck wouldnt shoes be ok? I put shoes on my kids from the start:) The problem happens when the baby starts walking and the shoes are too narrow... it can make their toes cram together. So make sure her shoes are wide enough once she starts walking
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Shoes are just fine, as long as they are soft soled- there more like socks than anything else and add extra protection to their tiny feet in cold, or rain- Its not good to put tennis shoes on a baby, but the soft ones for decoration is just fine.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 5:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009