Any work a job that you have to be on call 24/7 year round?

My hubby is really interested in a job that he would have to be on call 24/7 365 . Good pay , insurance and all but I am 8 months prego and wondering if this would be a good thing or not .....we also have a 2.5 year old. He currently only works 2 hours a day so if he does get this job then it would be better than what he does now..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• You'd probably have to check in your area. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a SAHM to my 2 year old son and 5 month old daughter. I recently started working from home to make some extra money and I really like what I do. I get to make my own schedule and more importantly be with my children. I work with a great team of Moms, we work for Internet CEO Moms. We help people create income from home.
    No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just a A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    Visit me at :
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com

Erika

I'd love to tell you more about our great team!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My dh works shift work there are days that he has to be on call for 4 days staright then it starts over I guess to give the other guys a chance to be on call...I like it...can't complain like you said good money thank you Jesus :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My husband owns his own business and doesn't have any employees, so he's basically on call 24/7/365 if any of his clients have emergencies. Most of the time it is ok, but occaissionally it is a pin that he has to work when we are planning a special family activity. It does pay the bills though. If your husband is only working 2 hours/day now and you are pregnant I don't know why you would even question if he should take it - he needs to be working and supporting your family, and you may just have to deal with him being less available. No job is really 100% 24/7/365 - he will have to have time off and the ability to trade call duty from time to time, so while it may sound bad it probably isn't that bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• What exactly are you wondering about?

My job is 24/7/365 because news never stops. I also used to work technical support for newsrooms, so it was also 7/24/365.

DH does computer support and has always considered himself 7/24/365.

Not really a problem. Yeah, there have been calls in the middle of the night. And when we were in the midst of the big wildfires in 2007, I was at work pretty close to 'round the clock. When I was doing tech support, I remember being on the phone from 1AM to 5AM trying to help a client across the country. BUT...the tradeoff was that I didn't have to go in the next day.

Me, I can't imagine NOT being on that kind of schedule.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes, actually I have a good idea for one.   Have him check out this article I wrote:

How to start a Home Based Answering Service

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My husband has a job like that. You just learn to work around it. I am currently on vacation but have been working from home as needed because there are things that cannot wait until I return. I would say that if my husband was only working two hours per day I would encourage him to take the job.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 12:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2009