Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small business owners...NOT at home business....

My husband and I have a great idea, we both are excited about our idea and are literally starting from square one...

My question is...when you were starting up your business, how did you register the name/get a permit/write your business plan...etc. I have googled it and I just want some more personal experiences for me to read as well.


Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Where I live you register your business' name at the court house - you get a "doing business as" certificate. If your business will be selling anything that you have to collect sales tax for you will also need to get a sales tax permit and id number from your state comptroller (may be a different agancy name in your state). If you plan to form a partnership or corporation, or any other business type other than a sole-proprietor you will need to find out your state's requirements (probably check with your state's secretary of sate or comptroller's office). You may find a small business administration office in your area that can help you figure out what all you need to do for your specific business. A lot of things will vary from state to state, so you really need to start looking at the state's secretary of state and comptroller's website's for guidance. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I didn't... You don't always have to. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce... They will tell you what you need to know. Here you don't have to be licensed or anything unless you are in certain areas of the city...  And then you are limited to what businesses you are allowed to have. Name Registry is not always required either. If you are looking to incorporate or become national, it's a good idea, but I'm just a local busness, so there is no need. Again, though local people will be able to help you because the laws change from state to state and even city to city... I'm in Washington County, PA... Chances are, you are not. So things wil be different for you!


    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Annon 5:12 is correct . Where I live you register at the court house. There is a small fee. Mine was, I think 25.00. That was all there was to It. Take your certificate to the bank set up an account. Start you net-working(contacts) pay close attention to advertising. Advertising is the most over paid under functioning part of your business, believe it or not. Marketing and advertising are two entirely different concepts...Please dont make the mistake of confusing the two, as so many people do. So pay close attention to what works and what does not. Thats where a new business struggles. Its experimenting with what is effective for your company... The economy is at its lowest, so please take that into consideration when establishing you business. If your ready for all the pit'll succeed better. Good blessings to you & your business!

    Answer by lacyjones at 9:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • can also check out (google) mico-soft small business. Theres lots of free step by step instructions. You can also (google) eHOW. (We have several WAHM's on Cafemom who write for eHOW., although I am not one of them) That has lots of wonderful free step-be-step instructions, as well.

    Answer by lacyjones at 9:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2009