thrush

my friend just told me that it looks like my baby has thrush.. how do i know? also, how do i tell if it's that or if its just from when she ate?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 5:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If her mouth is white and it doesn't just wipe off. If it is, she needs to see a doctor and get a perscription for it. Good luck, my daughter has had it a few times =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Also, it will be in her tongue and/or insides of her cheeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. Thrush is most common in babies and older adults, but it can occur at any age.

The most common symptoms of thrush are white patches that stick to the inside of the mouth and tongue. In babies, it is easy to mistake thrush for milk or formula. It looks like cottage cheese or milk curds. Don't try to wipe away these patches, because you can make them red and sore. Some babies with thrush can be cranky and do not want to eat.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She'll have a white coating on her tongue, gums, inside her cheeks, and it won't wipe off like milk residue will. You should see a Dr to be sure and if she does they'll prescribe an antifungal like Nystatin and it only has a 50% chance of working. If she does have thrush though, you can get gentian violet at any pharmacy and use it and it works wonderfully. My son had thrush and used two courses of Nystatin and it didn't work. I called the lactation consultant and she told me to use GV. Use a q-tip to swab the entire inside of baby's mouth and if you are bf'ing swab your nipples as well or nurse right after swabbing baby's mouth. I did it once a day for 7 days and no more thrush. I will warn you though, it is messy, it's very dark purple and it stains, my son had a purple chin for a week and my nipples did not look natural. And get new pacis or nipple and sterilize any toys that go in baby's mouth. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009