Bariatric Surgery Questions, could you please help?

I do not even know where to begin this journey. I am 360 pounds. I am 5'5'. I have changed my eating habits and have lost 20 pounds. I am very large and having a hard time exercising. I am trying to figure out how to finance a weight loss surgery. I have Aetna POS and I called them. They said absolutely NOT.

Can you please tell me about your experience? How much did it cost how did you finance it or get it covered, how was your recovery, how much did you lose, etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I had gastric bypass in June and fortunately it was covered entirely by my insurance (Aetna POS II). I don't have much more advice than what others have already stated, but a good website for reference is http://www.obesityhelp.com. There are many experts there that can help you with your questions, and also give you advice on insurance.

Also, at the weight loss seminar I had to attend, I was given a list of different websites to refer to, and one was for insurance problems. Its http://www.obesitylaw.com.

Good luck and don't give up! Sometimes its a battle to get there, but doesn't mean it will never happen.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 4:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My husband had the surgery two years ago. Before they would do it he had to spend a year following a doctor's diet plan including visits, go through a psych eval. and get many many tests done. He now is a healthy weight and is very happy. If you really want this keep pushing the insurance. Have your doctor document EVERY weight related issue and have them refer you to a bariatric physician.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I had gastric bypass in 1995 and I know at that time the procedure was nearly $25,000. Back then the procedure was much more involved, I know now that they do it by laparoscopy. I was in the hospital for about 5 days, and really took about 6-8 to fully recover. I was about 390 when I went in and at the lowest got to 180. Now after 2 kids and 14 years I have settled at about 290, certainly not my ideal weight but much better than where I was. The surgery is not a cure but merely a tool to help you lose weight. I am strictly limited in the amount of food that I eat now and still do vomit once in a while if I eat too much. Do you have co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea or joint problems? This could be a way to have your insurance pay for it if your doc has documented these. If you want to talk privately or ask any additional questions, please feel free to send me a message and I will gladly fill you in.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Mine was like emna's, so not really comparable. However, mine was approved through BCBS and I learned the real secret. I may not be the insurance that's shutting you down, but the physician's group your Dr. belongs to within the insurance company. Investigate it further and find out where that real "no" is coming from. If it's the physician's group, you need to change to a PCP that you know is not opposed to the surgery. If it is the insurance, see if you have an option to switch at work (from HMO to PPO or a different provider). Also, those co-morbidities are a huge factor.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OP here-Thank you so much for the information. I am glad to see there are other woman in the same boat. You all give me hope. I have not been to even my physician yet. I was just questioning my insurance about weight loss surgery before I even begin this whole process. The insurance says absolutely no exceptions to the rule even with a doctor's letter. They said my husband's employer (which is a hospital) specifically requested a plan that does not cover WLS. I'll have to see what a bariatric surgeon says. Thanks again for the help!! I would love to here from any of you anytime.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 6:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009