Have you ever had or heared of a cat making a full recover from being run over?

My kitty was run over last week by my dh. She was laying underneath his car tire and from what we can put together she was most likely squished but not completely ran over. My dh goes to work at 5:30 or so in the AM so it was still very dark. I kept calling her all morning till about 8am when I took my dog outside only to find her crying out in pain. I rushed her to the animal hospital. The vet found that she had no obious fractures and she has been recovering nicely but after a week she still has a wabble when she walks-we are SO grateful that she is still w/us! Has anyone seen a kitty have a complete recovery from something like this?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 6:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pets

• Oh I'm so sorry to hear that - poor kitty, and poor you! That's not a nice thing to happen.

It sounds like she's doing good - I hope she makes a full recovery.

I haven't had that experience like that with any cats - but I know that my brothers dog got run over pretty badly (completely by accident by a neighbor) - when she was a puppy - and she was in pretty bad shape for about 2 months, but she turned out okay and she;s a very healthy fully grown dog now.

Good luck.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• We had a cat who had a cracked pelvis. The doc had us put him in a cage so that he wasn't jumping on stuff and straining it. He had to stay in the cage for 6weeks. When he was allowed out he was fine and had no other problems.
    We also had another cat who's tail was run over and he lost all feeling in it. The vet wanted to amputate it but that tail was the cats pride and joy. My parents said that they wanted to wait and see what would happen. His tail just dragged around on the ground, but after about a month he started lifting it and six months later he had full use of his tail again. There was about an inch that never came back fully, so it flopped to one side. It was cute and funny.
    Good luck to your kitty, hopefully she will make a full recovery.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Wow, I guess the "9 lives" is true. I'm glad the cat is doing better. We keep our poodle in the house, we may walk him, but back in he goes.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My dog chased my cat out the window twice in her life(cat passed away at 14)... I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building. She limped for a few days and was back on her normal walk within a week... Cats really do have 9 lives.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• yep i seen cats run complete over an dhit multiple times at once and he made a full recovery as far as living goes....he can eat walk and run but hes got cracked teeth, hes deaf in one ear, and he cat see out of one eye...but hes happy and contint and he crosses the road mor cautiously now.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:16 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Poor kitty! I hope she improves and makes a full recovery. They really must have nine lives! My friend's dog was run over by a car- she needed surgery on her pelvis but went on to live to be seventeen years old. She ended up with bad arthritis in her old age due to the multiple breaks and fractures she had, but other than that she had a very normal healthy life even after a serious car accident. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• sorry about your kitty. my sister had a cat that lost it's tail ( accident ) one winter morning we went out to warm up the car and after the car was backed up , we found a cat tail on the ground, looked around for the cat but was no where to be found ( tail got caught in the fan belt when the car was started ) a couple days later the cat showed up. We took it to the dr and got fixed
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 12:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i have never had a cat run over and recover but i did have one that was torn up pretty badly by a dog.the cats intestines were hanging out of her backside and she was pretty mangled.we gave her the night to see what would happen (no all night vets where we lived) got up the next morning and she was fine.her insides had worked their way back into place and she recovered with no problems.
    Sephy333

Answer by Sephy333 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009