When did you get rid of the board books?

My kids are 3 now, and we aren't having more kids, so no reason to save them. They treat their picture books pretty well, so I'm thinking it's time to donate our board books. When did you get rid of yours?

pitter_patter

Asked by pitter_patter at 6:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have no clue since we never really had a bunch of them. They were pretty much destroyed before they could be "outgrown" so to speak. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My daughter is 3.5 and if she was my last I would get rid of them. She is into longer books now, and she's very gentle with her books (always has been). But we're having more, so I just leave them in her room for now.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• We love books in our home and we like to spread the love around! :) What we do with our daughter who will be 3 in October is when we donate or give away her old books we go buy the exact number of books we gave away. She already loves to "read" even if there anren't any pictures so we think that rotating her books frequently will help keep her interested and curious about new topics.
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 9:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you're going to get rid of the ones they don't read anymore maybe try finding a bookstore in your area (alot of local new/used bookstores do this in my area) and see if they will trade out your old books for "new" ones. That way you are getting rid of books that your kids have outgrown and also bringing more in. That's what I've done with quite a few books that my son just wasn't interested in.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Don't know. There has always been another small child in the house to use them. My middle 2 kids were/are so rough with their books that I couldn't let them have anything but board books until they were 5 (they are 7 and 6 now). They destroyed most of the board books we had to begin with. My 3yo has only a couple left of the 2 dozen we originally had (I tossed the rest because they were torn in half or whatever).
    My 3yo will keep hers until she is reading chapter books on her own and then I'll give away/donate the board books. I expect that to be in the next couple of years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They get a new life when your child starts reading because they are short and perfect for the beginning reader. They feel so smart when they can read the book that you read to them when they were little.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You should save them for your grandkids. My mother inlaw and my mother saved mine. And what cool is you can read your grandkids the same book that you read there mommy or daddy.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 4:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009