Has your toddler ever been afraid of certain things/people?

My 2.5 yr. old daugther has been going through a strange phase (at least to me) and wanted to know if anyone has gone through something similar with their children. Recently she's afraid of loud cars passing by the house, one minute she's fine with my grandmother and hours later my grandmother will approach her about something and startle her to the point where she gets hysterical. I'm at stay at home mom so I'm with her everyday and there's nothing that she's exposed to that should scare her this bad. The other day we were at church, and normally she goes and plays with her little buddies and she's very sociable, well this last time she was hysterical and afraid of all the kids and just wanted to be held. Is this normal?

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter seems to be afraid of big black men. I don't understand why either because we have like 3 really big/tall black male friends. She will cry hysterically if she is held by them. It's really strange. NO ONE has ever hurt her. I know, because I am always with her, and we don't hang around with questionable people. Her father and I are both very short, so I'm sure that plays a part. We both have olive skin, but are no where near black. I don't know. It's odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oh and she is only 1. I'm the first anon.
    Anonymous

• my little one is afraid of bubbles,lol.she is very sociable as well.sometimes she will pop em sometimes she will cry run and be shaking.i think they just want to be babyd by mom.they want to be held and comforded
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• So far mine is afraid of a particular cat toy. It really is kind of funny. I can hold it and she will kiss it but if she holds it she screams and throws it. I don't know what it is about, but we find it hysterical.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She has her moments. she will be three soon. but, It is mostly people she tends to shy away from sometime. (Which 98% of the time is not her, she will tell anyone hi..and what not. With someone she knows with her of course.) but, sometimes it's just the way people might come off that scars her..Just like anyone isnt sure about somethng.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Last summer when my oldest was 2, she was scared to death of the water. We had a miserable time even giving her a bath. Now she loves the water and swimming lessons have been her favorite part of the summer.
    My little one (she'll be 2 in October) hates car washes - the automatic ones like at gas stations. She grabs tightly on to the sides of her car seat, starts looking around and crying.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009