early labor

i went to the hospital yesterday and they said i was in early labor but they sent me home after 8 hours saying i havent dialated any but ive thinned out to 80% and this morning i lost the rest of my mucus plug...my doctors office called an hour ago saying my induction date is set for the 25th of this month! will i make it to the 25th and if so why would my doctor let me be in pain for so long

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, how early are you?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There might be some reason...but your doctor sounds like a moron.
    You haven't dilated, so there's not much they CAN do - but once you do, it'll go fast - especially since you've lost your mucous plug.
    I say, if anything changes, go to the ER. And in the meantime, get a second opinion while you still can.
    Good luck!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i dont know thats all they told me...my contractions are 2 mins apart and intense but its not dialating me apparently...but theyve been this way for like a day and a half...i dont have an infection and im not dehydrated or anything
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• He's probably waiting because most doctors won't induce until 41 weeks.. I was in intense hip and back pain and I didn't have my first until i was just shy of 43 weeks. You aren't considered overdue until the 42 week mark.

This time around, my abdomen and back hurt so bad the last week or so, that I can barely walk. But I have a scheduled c-section in a week.

Like a PP said, if anything changes just go to the ER.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 7:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Inducing has alot of risks. Most people dont know about them or take them seriously. It can cause problems, mostly distress to the baby. Unless the baby is in distress now it is better to let the baby and your body function and do this naturally. Your Dr is not a moron like someone else said. hes being safe and trying to keep the both of you healthy. The moron Dr's are the ones quick to induce
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Are you healthy-fine-normal? If so, then this is not any reason for concern. If you're not overdue then why talk induction? Some women have prodromal labor, unfortunately, do your best to work through it and stay patient. If you are healthy then unnecessary induction adds risks, you probably wouldn't want to go there!

Being pregnant is different than being... "un"pregnant and there is a lot of discomfort in the end.   Making informed choices is a priority for the sake of the baby, right?  ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• good luck sweetie. i think you will have your baby before the 25th and that's a good thing (like previous posters have said, induction is risky). my understanding is that you can have early labor contractions for hours one day and then not go into labor for several days after that.

i don't really know why people are saying your dr is an idiot???
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009