Dad's brand dog food? Anyone feed this to your dogs?

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about Dads brand pet foods? One of our dogs breeders suggested it but we have never used it. I am thinking about switching brands since we have grass grazing dogs.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 6:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I personally wouldn't feed it to my dogs. It's full of fillers and crap. I go with high quality dog food for my 4 dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• okay,what brand do you feed?
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• A good quality food that I use is California Natural. No fillers, by-products or corn. And you save money because you feed less of it than the grocery store brands. Go to Naturapet.com to find out where you can buy it. It's honestly one of the best foods on the market.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Never heard of it, we buy Beneful for our mini poodle, its quite expensive, but he only eat that brand. Try researching it online, good luck.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Most dog foods are full of fillers and crap that your dog really doesnt need, if your feeding kibble, make sure the first ingredient is a whole meat, like chicken or something... NOT chicken by-product or chicken-meal.
    Even some of the expensive dog foods like beneful dont possess these qualities... If youre looking for a really high quality food my suggestion would be either "wellness" (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/) or, my favorite but cannot afford lol, "Taste of the wild" (http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/). I used to work at a pet store for years and learned so much on dog food and the importance of ingredients.
    Hope this helped, never heard of dad's dog food.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:49 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• u know i cant affor to feed my dog th ebest stuff i dont knwo what kind of buget u have but i have a family that come first and what little money i have left over form taking care of them get divided up between my animals. i feed dads to my dog and sometimes its purenia it depends on whats on sale that month when i need it. my cats r the same way i try to stick with a couple brands and usally buy the one that is cheaper... i do this with all of my animals...even my rodents on a month where i have to buy everyone everything like food and bedding i spend about 80-100 dollars and taht cheap stuff i couldnt imagin spending 45 dollars for 30 lbs of food wheni could probably feed my dog for 3 month on cheaper stuff and he would get the same kind of benifits....no i dont change his serving size to fit his brand of dog food he get 2 cups a day split into two feeding pluse he gets all the scrapes accumulated through out -cont
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• the day. no he isnt a small dog either hes germansheperd/rotti and weights between 90-100lbs and teh last time i had him to the vet the dr said he could probably stand to lose some weight but i like my animals kind of chunky. yeah some people may bash me b/c i cant give my animals the best but my animals r loves and taken care of to the best of my knowleged and pocket book
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:14 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i have fed my dog dads trail mix and they are healthy and love it. they are so use to it that they will not eat anything else. i have 3 med size dogs ranging from 45-65 lbs. as for the best stuff goes there is nothing wrong with more reasonable priced food. i cant afford to eat filet mignon every night so my dog isnt getting it either. and yes my vet states that all 3 of my dogs are healthy and loved and cared for very well.
    GTMOM41

Answer by GTMOM41 at 3:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Dog food experts have a great site:  Dog food reviews ;

Free service -  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 11:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We were feeding them beniful.
    I took one of our females to be spayed and the vet told me that she was anemic. I was mortified. He would not vaccinate her till she had been on vitamins for a month. That is when we went to nutro. I had our puppies on it. Anyhoo,I noticed they were all eating grass. I figured this is not the best sign. It's hard to decide what food to feed. We don't have a lot money to throw around either! I give them scraps too-although our vet has advised strongly against it :( We have never counted them as a feeding though just a treat. I will check out this site,thanks marie.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2009