LDS and Mormon?

Are they the same? I have had "mormons" tell me yes, they are the same and then I have had LDS tell me they are not... So, what is the offical cafemom verdict?
If they are not the same how are they different?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is a good question. I have heard it both ways as well. It would be great to get the facts straight.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Everything I've read has said that it's the same thing. I dunno.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I asked a "Mormon"/LDS friend this question and she said it's not 'offensive' in her view to call someone in her faith a Mormon, but they do prefer to "LDS" (as in church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). As I understand it those both refer to the same faith/church.

I know there are fringe offshoots of Mormon tradition, like the 'FLDS' which is totally different and not affiliated with their church.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I've always been under the impression they were the same.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well, it's good to know I am not missing anything! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I always think it's funny that there is confusion about this, although I even here some members say they prefer one or the other. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..........or the LDS church.....or the MORMON church. IT's ALL the same religion.

The OFFICIAL name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints........abbreviated LDS for the Latter Day Saints part. Way back in early church history people started calling us Mormon because we have our scriptures called The Book of Mormon.

If someone on the street were to ask what religion I am....I will typically say I'm Mormon. That's the term most people are familar with. Though I may explain what the official name is or say that I'm LDS if I'm in an area that I know people would be familar with that term.

(cont)............
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The people that tell you it's different or that demand to be called LDS instead of Mormon crack me up. Yes, Mormon is a slang term....it's a a nickname. But it's not offensive and that is what most people are familar with.

The only thing I make sure people understand is that there is the LDS church and the reformed churches such as FLDS and RLDS. These are religions that have broken off from the original church and have no connection to the actual LDS church. ( though they do believe in SOME of the same things we do..........their practices are different -Such as polygamy etc. )
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• * just realized i have some typos and I didn't word things like I wanted exactly. - It's been a long day! I hope that all made sense!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• They re the same. LDS are Mormons and Mormons are LDS.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Same.

Mormon is the nickname given to the church because of the use of the Book of Mormon.

The church's official name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints(LDS).

If there is any difference it would be if someone was thinking of the F-LDS group which are the ones who believe in polygamy and such. Many times people confuse them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009