Is my baby eating too much?

On this age-byage- guide I found online at babycenter.com says that my baby who is 5months old should only be eating just a few tablespoons of cereal or oatmeal a day but she devoures it! In one sitting she can eat like 1/4- 1/2 cup and a couple of ounces of formula on top of it. She is happy and doesnt vomit so I personally dont think she is overfed. I assume she would let me know... And she askes for it. If I dont feed her at least twice if not 3 times she is mad. hmmm....

MsMallory09

Asked by MsMallory09 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's fine. If she does get bigger than avg she'll work it off when she starts walking.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Don't pay attention to "the books" or "the guides" I don't know of a single baby who had read any of them.

For the record...my guys at 5 months ate two jars of stage 2 food at each meal with cereal mixed in for thickening, and took an average of 45oz per day in formula.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. Although I do think that is young to be starting on solids, every baby is different. My firstborn grew like crazy and had the appetite of an adult at 9 months. People were shocked at the amount of food on his plate. He's a skinny guy so it all goes to him growing!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i beg you not to go by the book,they arent always right. if your kid is getting ready to go on the maury show for being 5 months and like 40 pounds then ide say you need to consider what they are telling you.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep introducing new things and hopefully she won't be a picky eater :o) When she starts walking, the running, she very well might just run it all off. When the baby's write the "book" then I'll read it. That's what my Dad always said too.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My DS was the same way we started cereal at 4 months and he would eat 1/4 cup at a time sometimes now when hes really hungry he can eat three baby foods in a row. I feed him till he doesnt want anymore I dont follow those guidelines there just silly when there hungry there hungry when there full there full.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• First, any solids should be given AFTER bottle/nursing. A baby for the first year needs to formula/breastmilk.

IMO, yes you are feeding her to much. My son is 8 months old and today he got 5 crackers when we at supper. Some days he gets maybe a 1/4 of food and then it is only once a day.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:41 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I feed my four month old two ounces of formula, then a tablespoon of cereal from a spoon and then more cereal three times a day and at night I give him a full tub of the first foods applesauce then two and a half scoops of cereal and mix that with about half an ounce to a full ounce of water and he gobbles it down and eats three or four ounces of formula afterward. It's crazy, he eats all the food from the bowl in like twenty minutes and I let him tell me when he wants another bite.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:27 AM on Aug. 15, 2009