Question for Moms of School Cheerleaders

My daughter is going into 4th grade and really, really wants to be a cheerleader in Middle School, which starts in 6th grade where we live. She has never done dance or gymnastics before and can't even do a cartwheel. I am enrolling her in a gymnastics class but it's only once a week for an hour. I'm not sure what skills are expected to make a middle school cheerleading team or if it's realistic that she will be able to gain the skills in two years. What skills did your daughters have when they made the cheerleading squad, and what was their previous background? If it's unlikely that she will be able to make it, I would rather try to encourage her to do another sport that she would have a better chance of being able to participate in during Middle School.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• We had to be able to do a standing backhandspring, and obviously do a cheer and learn a dance for tryouts. We also had to do jumps. Took cheerleading classes twice a week at a gym, and a 30 minute private lesson. I would enroll her in a cheerleading class and not gymnastics because in a cheerleading class they will teach dance, stunts, and jumps along with tumbling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oo! Oo! I can answer this one! LOL

My DD is 12 and just finished 6th grade (in CT if that helps..I'm not in Cheer Central or anything). She started cheering this summer and (just between us) she couldn't do a cartwheel if her life depended on it. But every Wednesday her squad does gymnastics. In just 3 weeks she's already improved a ton. She goes 5 days/week during summer and 3 during Sept-Nov. I'd ask at sign ups and see how they handle it. They may do a gymnastics day too. Right now her squad does mostly cheers and jumps anyway so tumbling isn't really needed yet. Anyway, like I said this is her first year so I"m no expert. This is just what its been like so far. Hope that helps! Good luck. I never pictured myself as a "cheer mom"...lol...but she loves it.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009