Sofa Opinions

My hubby & I are thinking about buying a new sofa. We are leaning towards a sectional. Does anyone have any opinions? Do you have a sectional? Like it? Don't like it? Any opinions on fabric, suede, leather. What is easiest to clean? I have 2 kids & 2 dogs (they shed so preferably something that the hair won't stick to like crazy). Also, any opinions on good furniture stores in Tulsa. We would love to try to do no interest, no payments if possible. My hubby also wants a new tv. Do you know of furniture/electronic stores in one. Thanks for any advice!

twinmomof2girls

Asked by twinmomof2girls at 7:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Okay.. so I don't know about Tulsa...but I could ask my DH's aunt if you wanted? Lol.
    We do have a sectional and it's actually very nice and VERY handy. We have a butter soft leather one - and surprisingly has held up to our dogs' claws and our baby. :]
    The suede ones are very nice as well - we had that ages ago, and it's very easy to get the hair off of.

As for the TV... i dunno, we're cheap bastards now, so we Craigslist hunt - we can usually find someone getting rid of their new TV or almost new because of a move or they need money - etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have a sectional and will never go back!! We had a leather couch that I hated! The cushions were always sliding off, it was cold and sticky. We now have a microfiber sectional that I love! Everybody who sits on it talks about how comfy it is. It was about $800 and has held up surprisingly well. We have six in our family and two dogs. The dogs are not allowed on the couch but the microfiber tattles on them. Before we leave I smooth the cushions out. When I get back there are paw prints. Can we say BUSTED????
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Thanks ladies! Good idea on looking for the tv on Craigslist. We will probably have to do that. Lol about the paw prints!
    twinmomof2girls

Answer by twinmomof2girls at 8:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have leather couches (the cushions are attached, they don't come off) I've spilled everything under the sun on them and it just wipes right off...including grape juice & buttered foods ......I had suede ones before this and thought they were so beautiful, until that first spill..I've had my leather couches for 5 yrs and they still look brand new, they're comfy too...the only drawback is they're cold..which is fine in the summer..even a plus~! In the winter I just throw a blanket over them.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have leather dark brown and read sofas and recliners. Easy to clean. I am getting a white leather sectional within the next few weeks online. So I can't speak on sectionals. But they do save space. Since leather is easy to clean I would do that instead of suede.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• while sectionals may save space but can be a bit awkard to work around if you dont have a traditonal room with walls to place it up aginst. We have a 10'x10' blue leather sectional with a lounge in a room that is fairly large but there are built in bookcases at one end and the fireplace is on an angle on the other side and the TV is above the fireplace. there is only one straight wall in the room but the door and window are too close to put the couch flat aginst that wall and then it would face the kitchen vs the tv and fire place. I have the couch turned in the middle of the room and it takes up a ton of room.

I do love the leather it is 14-16 years old (cant remember when we bought it) and cost a pretty penny back the. leather sofas have come way down in price. there are 7 of us in our family plus dogs and birds etc and the only thing that I havent been able to clean off of the leather is some permant marker
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 1:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If you'd rather go with fabric than leather (I personally can't stand leather), microfiber is a great fabric to have in a home with children and pets. It's very durable and easy to clean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Don't get micro fiber!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I have leather in one room and microfiber (treated by the store w/a stain retardant) and I can't say enough good things about the microfiber. EVERYTHING comes off of it, I have had it for 5 years and it still looks brand new (2 dogs and 2 kids). I don't have a sectional though. GL :)
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009