Give me YOUR solutions

I see all the complaining about the bailouts, the healthcare issues, and the gov't involvement in private sector of the business world. Given the banks, mortgage industry, car industry, and overall lacking healthcare for even those with insurance, what would your solutions to these issues be?
1. How you'd handle the car industry
2. The mortgage industry
3. The banks/financial industry
4. Healthcare

I see a lot of complaining and urging towards revolution on this, but not a lot of solutions, and a LOT of criticism for the solutions that are out there.

Let's hear it.

LiliM

Asked by LiliM at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As far as our mortgage, we knew going into the bank what we wanted to pay. We refused to consider anything higher. It was actually pretty funny. We live pretty 'poor.' Used cars (early 90's), no credit card debt, no assets, well we do have a tiny bit set aside for retirement. The lender was not very impressed or hopeful. She ran our info and came back with our credit score - SUPER friendly!!! You guys can afford more! We said no way. What the banks said we could afford meant living off of credit cards for everything else!!! People need to have an understanding of budgets and their personal finances before they go to get a loan. And banks are stupid for lending to people with poor credit. But ultimately I believe the individual takes the brunt of the responsibility.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 1. Let the car companies fail. That's free market. You can't stay in business you close and soon another company takes over. 2. Mortgage - people need to take responsibility for themselves. From the 'common man' to the CEO. I don't have a big solution really. I just know my husband and I knew what we could afford and refused to consider what the banks told us we could. Take responsibility for your finances and set a budget!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 3. Not sure what the issue is. I don't think we need to bail anyone out. I would rather go through a depression and the American people struggle and come out stronger and better than to throw money at failing businesses. Money that doesn't exsist unless the people get taxed. 4. Take responsibility for your own healthcare (me too). Did you know plastic surgery costs are dropping?! Insurance doesn't cover it. People shop around for the bast deal and doctors lower their costs. Maybe insurance companies could reward people who 'shop around' with lower fees. Then doctors would start really competing to treat us!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Thanks, micheledo. I appreciate your thougful response. How do you handle the millions more that would be jobless due to the failed car companies, banks, and other financial inst? Could the govt handle the umemployment?

And should the country go through a depression because CEOs are asshats? If a depression is on the horizon, and can be seen, should there be steps taken to stop it? Not really looking to bash the steps that have been taken, more interested in should they have been taken in the first place, and if not, how to handle the resulting fallout?
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 8:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Forgot to add - when you all got your mort, did you go to the limit the banks would allow? I ask because I look at what the banks approved us at, and I would be scraping ramen noodles for leftovers had we borrowed that amount. Did you auto-trust the bank, or did you all take the time to look at the payments, and make sure ramen wasn't your future for the next 5 years?
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 8:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I do agree with your there. I am in process of refi, and I keep pissing off the LO because I keep asking questions, and refusing to sign anything that will obligate me to them. Not until they show me the numbers that make it worthwhile. I don't think a lot of people are like that, and that is part of the problem. The lack of responsibility starts with the individual, and then travels up the chain.

I know it was slightly off topic, but I wanted to know how other people handled that. I think that people truly believe the banks are being fair and realistic when they tell them what they can afford....well, they used to. Maybe not so much anymore.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 8:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would make everyone on PA reapply.. do you know how many people are still receiving PA when they don't qualify for it? That's Billions of dollars that could be easily placed into a better health care system for low income.
    Now my way of a low cost health care is to do it like any other PA. You apply if you qualify (say less then 30,000 a year) you can get a set low cost on health Ins.
    You would have 3 different options.
    Plan A B C
    ( A for single and married (no children) individuals B for married with children and C for elderly.)
    I would also make it to where you have to turn in info on your financial situation every year to keep abuse at a minimum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oh and B would cover single parents too lol sorry didn't mean to leave you out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 1, 2 & 3 - Let them fail. Companies that make bad decisions should not be bailed out. Doing so stifles the development of new companies and wastes precious resources(dollars).

Healthcare

Tort Reform - Multi-million dollar payouts and ambulance chasing lawyers have raised the cost of malpractice insurance to almost unpayable levels. This drives up the cost of services.

Allow insurance companies to sell across state lines. - This would open the door to healthy competition and lots of it.

Take insurance out of the hands of employers. - Make it like auto, life and homeowners. The people can decide what they need and choose a policy and company they want to do business with. Bad companies would soon be out of business. This would also open the door to healthy competion and thus lower costs. It would also force companies to offer better policies/services.

cont.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• cont.

Eliminate pre-existing conditions.

The only treatment for illegals would be for life threatening care. This may seem harsh, but Americans must come first.

I have some other ideas, but I don't want to take over the OP's question.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009