worried about my sons weight

He is a year tomorrow (aug 15th) and today had a wic appnt and they said he is eating too much but is underweight which i didnt get it. They said he is drinking too much formula but he eats food all day long he just wants his bottle too. He eats all the time wether it be chicken veggies, cheese etc, but drinks 4-5 oz of milk every 3-4 hours as well with meals and snack, he isnt starving and eats all the time. He is only 17 lbs and 13 oz and only 27.5 inches long they made me feel like a bad mom. What did your 12 month old weigh? and what was the length at their one year birthday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was also 16 lbs at 12 months, and 28.5 inches. My son was 19 something and almost 31 inches (wow that's crazy! I haven't looked at his baby book for a while, I can't believe how tall he was! No wonder people always thought he was older). anyway...
    We worked for a while trying to feed my daughter more high calorie foods, but she was a little pig and ate all the time anyway. Thankfully her doctor just decided it was genetics and it wasn't something to be concerned about. I've known so many children that were as small as her that I honestly think the growth charts are off.
    Not that you can determine whether a child is eating right based on weight alone. But his weight sounds fine to me, especially compared to his height.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• mine at 18 months weighed the same as your yours. BUT her doctor said that she was underweight and we worked out a new food plan to make her gain. I gave them the weeks menu and they concluded she was eating too healthy so I had to add more fats to her diet (good fats). Dont listen to WIC. Listen to your doctor. When i was on it for my daughter 8 years ago, They once told me my daughter was too fat when she was in the 50% percentile for weight and height. I seriously think the people at WIC are idiots. When I told her Dr what they said, she is the one who called them idiots first and told me to always come to her with nutritional concerns and dont listen to them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son is 29 inches and 20 pounds - was that at his one year. He hasn't changed much and he does eat a lot too.
    He's just reached a little growth plateau - he'll spring back pretty soon - especially from the way he's eating.
    Babies always eat a lot more and sleep more or less - depending - right before a big growth spurt. :]

No worries, and don't let them get you down.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my son is only 8 months old, and weighs 24.2 pounds and is 28 inches...hes not moving yet, and theyre telling me hes going to be at risk for diabetes soon if he keeps gaining. i try to get my son to walk or crawl or ANYTHING he just doesnt yet. hes DEFINITELY not over fed. hes in the 98% for his size. i know he is a BIG boy but still, go with your gut, kids are different than they used to be, i still dont think you can judge your child by the standard. Same way women are considered obese that shouldnt be. i think my son just has dense bones, maybe you could give your son water instead of so much milk, but they say milk does the body good (is he drinking whole milk)...grr...confusion.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ---Original Poster--

yeah the lady at wic said that the pediatrician is only about medicine not about nutrition. the pedi told me ever since he was born that he is just small like i was. he hits all his milestones perfectly and he is really smart. some people think he is older for his age because he is so smart but then they look at his body and think he is like 6 or 9 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• JUst smile and nod...and pick up your wic vouchers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• THEY TOLD ME MY DD WAS TO FAT. SHE WAS 24LBS AND 30 INCHES
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My DD at her 1 yr was 16 lbs 4 oz and 27.5 inches. We are on the petite side. My DD drinks in excess of 24 oz of fluid a day and eats more than I do in a day. She eats 3 SOLID meals a day ( meat, veggies and carbs) as well as snacks in between meals. I think that wic is a bunch of idiots. Your child is petite and that is okay. I wish you luck and go to your doc with your concerns. Good luck
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009