Yard Sale Question....

Im having a yard sale and want it to be successful. I am selling stuffed animals for .50 and books for $1. Im also selling some of my clothes for $3. I do have some shelves, lightning mcqueen and thomas and friends items Im selling for $10 is that an okay price or to expensive?

The items Im selling that I think will be a success are smaller toys and baby clothes in great condition for $3-$5 as well as household items for $5.00

Are these good prices?

I am selling my car seat, swing and bouncer but I dont know what to price it as. My son is almost nine months old so they are gently used. What are some good prices for these items? What would you pay for them at a yard sale?

ANY tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think so. People will try to haggle with you so stand your ground. ask 10 -15 for the other stuff and if someone really wants it then you can come down...oh and watch for people that will steal...i had this happen to me...if they had asked I would have let them have it...oh well....it was some garfield mugs...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Car seat i would mark it for 20-25 and allow them to talk you down. just keep your mind open on the prices and allow them to talk you down.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You really shouldn't sell a used car seat. They do expire and do have unseen damage. Just google it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Here's my tips and advice:
    1) I once heard that as a general rule, you should price your items at about 10% of the original purchase price. However, if your items are in like new or brand new in box condition. You can probably and should charge more.

2) It would be nice if you had batteries (or power source) for the toys or items that require them. You don't have to sell it with the battery, but people like to know that what they are buying works.

3) Don't sell stuff that looks crappy. If it needs a quick wipe down, do it. You can get more for it.

4) Give people an incentive to by more. Consider giving discounts for buying multiple items.

5) Don't be overly attached to your items so that you end up over pricing your items and don't consider negotiating with people. Price items according to what you feel is fair and reasonable (e.g., Would you honestly pay x amount for a given item?)

(continued)
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 9:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 6) Be honest about imperfections and shortcomings of the items your selling. You don't need to totally adversite all the wrongs but letting people know what their buying is imho best. I don't like getting ripped of and I'm guessing that others don't either.

7) If you can, make it multi-family. Ask your neighbors, friends etc. if they want to join you in. You'll have a bigger inventory of items and more people are likely to show up if you make it worth their while.

8) Last bit of advice that comes to mind it to advertise. Get the word out to people (e.g., word of mouth, craigslist, newspaper, signs directing the way to your sale...don't forget to take down all your signs after your done)

Whew, sorry if it's so long. Good luck!
    momsc

• Great anwser, very inforative, thanks
    Boxerhaven

Answer by Boxerhaven at 10:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Sorry but you can go to a flea market and get blouses for $3.00 brand new.I just had a yard sale and I made very good money and I sold my clothes for$1.00 and sold my brand new tops and shorts for $2.00 with tags on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• A good rule of thumb is 10-15% of the price you originally paid for it!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 12:12 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I just had a yard sale last month and completely sold out of everything by 4:00 on the first day. Here is my theory: sell cheap and you'll get more money in the long run. Sure, I've seen people buy and sell baby outfits for $5.00 apiece. But a savvy shopper can get those things brand new on clearance for the same amount. Why would I want someone else's used stuff for that price? If you're holding out, hoping to get the price you really think your stuff is worth, there's a good chance you'll never sell it all. Then what? It goes to Goodwill or get given to someone you know. I'd rather sell stuff for $1.00 and get rid of ALL of it. Another thing to keep in mind is no one cares how much YOU paid for it. If it's used, it's used. It's only worth about half what you paid for it the day you took it out of the box. After that, the value just keeps going down hill.
    hrhchels

Answer by hrhchels at 2:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If you're not trying to "make your money back," but instead trying to get rid of clutter and get some cash in the process, you'll do awesome. People call their friends when they see great deals on baby stuff. Good luck! =D
    hrhchels

Answer by hrhchels at 2:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2009