Anyone ever been or are afraid to announce their baby's names to friends, family or to the general public?

I told a friend of mine that when I had a boy, I wanted to name him Bradley because I absolutely ADORE that name. . .
But then she had a baby boy... and what was his name? Bradley.

So, I'm not naming our boy that - if it's a boy - and I'm kind of irked by it too. I don't know if it's just a weird thing that I have going for me, but I'm okay with "running into" people who have the same name as my son or whatnot, because.. a lot of people in this world... but, it's just stupid when someone "steals" the name from you.

But, I have new names picked out and I am very happy with them. :D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• could it be a compliment to you for picking a good name or did she steal it...really depends on if she's a good friend or not...if you like the name..don't let her naming her kid bradley stop you...congrats on the baby...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my best friend is naming her son what i wanted to name my son but my fiance didnt like it. and im only putting this up as anon becuase my friend has a cafemom account lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes!!! I had a name stolen from me by my ex-sister in law .. That Heffer!!! (Hannah was the name she stole).. My ex and I never had kids we lost both of them, so it dosen't really matter now...I keep all my names under lock and key now.... I know a few people that are looking to name thier daughters London after they heard I named my daughter that... There is a un-said code don't steel names people you konw have chosen..
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 8:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think we will not tell with our next kid cause people wher just mean about ames. I was so sick of everyone telling me how stupid I was to have a jr. Well that is my choice not theres so we will wait and skip all that drama.
    sarahlu2009

Answer by sarahlu2009 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Nobody can "steal" a name! shesh. My niece is having a girl & she's naming it the same first name that one of my daughters has for a middle name. I was actually honoroed when she told me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• people are rude about names, very rude. when ive decided on a name that I like i will use it. ive been thru the name stealing and the rudeness. ive decided to keep my names secret also. just seems like the best thing to do for our family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I learned after my first son that I was not going to be discussing names with anybody. His name is Aidan. My stepmother told me at least once a week after we picked the name that it was stupid and I would regret naming him that. And she also hates his middle name. I finally old her to shut up because he was our son and we loved the name. I couldn't imagine him with another name. It just fits him.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I try not to tell my kids names, but Ethan got popular on it's own. I'm not telling my dd's
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I named my DS Marcus Leon-Antonio and people gave me weird looks because its sooooo long whatever hes named after good people thats all that matters
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yep, I totally understand that. I put a lot of effort into making my kids' names more unique, so I sure don't want someone I know swiping them. What I don't get is when people keep their baby's name a top secret, very hush-hush, and the it turns out to be another Hailey. Seriously? That was the big surprise? I supposed no one wants the same name to get used in their immediate circle no matter what, though. I'd love to know what goes through the mind of a name thief. How is that a good plan in their mind?
    hrhchels

Answer by hrhchels at 2:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009