Did you hear about that baby doll being recalled? Black people are offended?

It was a black baby packaged in a brown and pink outfit...also contained a stuffed monkey, a bottle...and a banana...the baby was wearing a hat that said "lil monkey" on the front....

They are being recalled because they were found offensive....

But they also had the exact same doll in white and a light brown....

Whats the deal....? I never would have thought anything negative about the phrase "lil monkey" if it hadnt been brought up...

what do you think, to sensitive....overreaction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• embarrassedOMG thats so wrong! White ppl are the devil! LOL j/k

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• there's a big thread about this on the next page, why didn't you just post there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Since they made that same baby doll in all races than no I do not find it offensive. If they only made it in black than I can see how someone might look at that the wrong way but if there was a white and brown skinned doll as well than what's the problem? People look way too much into things...no wonder why racism is still an issue...because people are constantly flipping into things to be offended by!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There's a long history of black people being compared to lower primates, at least in the US. I can understand why people would be offended by it. I definitely wouldn't have purchased it but since there was a white counterpart I doubt if there was anything sinister about it. Just seems thoughtless to me.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 8:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If in fact there were other colored dolls with the same wording on it, then I think I will chalk it up to oversensitivity. But really, they could have come up with something different than Monkey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The problem was that the other races DIDN'T have the same wording. The white baby came with a panda bear and was called "Pretty Panda". I'm not black, didn't see the doll in any store, and only heard about it here after it was recalled, but I do see where someone could be offended. I'm not sure how it passed through the manufacturer's marketing department without someone figuring that out--it seems fairly obvious to me.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 8:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

I agree.Why couldnt they have called it something else.Or used another name? They knew there were going to be problems.No one is that ignorant without it meaning something
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Art Jackson, the vice president of general administration at Costco, said there were also Caucasian and Hispanic versions of the doll packaged with the monkey. All three wore hats that read, "Lil' Monkey."

All three versions have been pulled from shelves.

"There are sensitivities that perhaps should have been understood," Jackson said. "We did not intend to offend."

The designer of the toy, The Brass Key, also makes a similar doll that includes a panda in the package instead of a monkey.

The panda products remain on the shelves. The panda is sold with Caucasian and African-American dolls, Stafford said. The doll wears clothing that reads, "Pretty Panda."

http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=111467&catid=58
    ________

* SaraCVT Learn the whole story before you start blabbing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OMG it said lil monkey o well its a doll
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think it is stupid to think it racist. Half the kids wear monkeys and monkeys are popular! Everything ISN'T about EFFING RACES. Jeez.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009