What does proteins in urine means,should i be worried?

My 13 year old son went for check up last week,they took his blood work and urine.I got call from his dr. today,and she said he has high numbers with protein in his urine....she ordered take same test again on Monday...what does protein in urine means?!

alee72

Asked by alee72 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Protein in the urine means that something is wrong with the kidneys. Your kidneys should filter out waste, but keep the protiens that your body needs.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Preteinuria, or protein in the urine, can be a sign of kidney damage. Since serum proteins are readily reabsorbed from urine, the presence of excess protein indicates either an insufficiency of absorption or impaired filtration of the kidney. This can happen through disease or direct injury to the kidney (like maybe a hard hit during football) and may be a one time thing or a chronic condition, depending on the root cause.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Now reading those answers i am very worried;-(Could it be from sweet drink he had before the test?We r going for more test tomorrow,,and i am very nervous and scared for him;-(
    alee72

Answer by alee72 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have an autoimmune disease called lupus and my lupus is with nephritis which means kidney failure. I have had a transplant and I am doing wonderful, after 10 years with the disease I could write a book of what everything means. Protein in the urine is something wrong with the kidneys. The ladies about are correct. Drinking a sweet drink will not cause protein to be in your urine. Protein and blood are big deals. Now, if he were dehydrated really bad and blood was in the urine, then protein could be there too. What was he at the doctor for? A physical? Just yearly check up? Are there any history of immune disorders in your family? It could mean a kidney punch like the lady about said too. Playing contact sports. Its important that you keep your appointments until you have answers though. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk too. Good luck mama. No matter what everything will be okay. :)
    NEMOMOFBOYS

Answer by NEMOMOFBOYS at 10:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• A sweet drink would only cause there to be elevated glucose, not proteins. Please keep us updated! He's in my thoughts and prayers :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...I should know test results on thursday or friday will keep you updated.....
    alee72

Answer by alee72 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009