How do I get my grandma to take a shower?

My grandma lives with me but she very seldom takes a shower cause its really hard for her to get in out of the shower. But she really needs to take a shower so how do I ask her to take one with out hurting her feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I once had a room mate who NEVER bathed. He never asked for a towel or soap. We never heard the shower running at night. His hair was always greasy. The boy just never bathed. It was the oddest thing. We told him he stunk & he just moved out. He may have had a phobia of water...I have no idea. Sorry to be no help at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well.. does she need assistance getting into the shower?
    Does she need a bath chair? If she does need a bath chair and it would help her out greatly - it might actually have her in the shower often. :]
    And getting those little suction grips for her to hold on to while getting in/out of the shower.
    Or you could always help her.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• help her take a shower. somtimes it is hard. sometimes alzhimers patients get scared of the water.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Is it a tub/shower? If so, this is what we did. We had two chairs of equal hight, one a shower chair, one a regular one outside of the tub. Dad would get undressed, sit on the one outside and slide himself to the one into the tub. We also put a small table there so his towels and clothes could be right there. It worked for a while until he couldn't do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I had the same problem with my mom. We got her a bath chair and she wore a belt around her that I would hold to help her keep her up. My mom could not walk so if your grandma walks than it should not be that hard. I think Walgreens or costco will sell the chairs. Just check around for stores that handle things for assisting the elderly. There is a lot out there.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Make sure you have bars throughout your shower, at the end opposite faucets and along the length of it. Also make sure you have nonsliding tape on the floor of the shower and skid proof rugs outside of the shower. Medical supply stores themselves plus CVS, Walgreen's, RiteAId all on line or in their stores have items for personal health care. See if there's a shower wheelchair you can either rent or buy. I bought a portapotty for my fatherinlaw to keep in his bedroom when he lived with us, for example. He felt more comfortable with his mobility troubles having it in his big closet. Several times a day I would discretely check the potty and clean it out. I kept antibacterial spray on the low closet shelf and powder too and toilet paper with baby wipes for hands and his privates.

The potty I lined with plastic bags and gently suggested to him that he put powder in the toilet after it was used, he was acrs from masterbrm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• When I had abdominal surgery, my hospital room shower had two shower potty chairs in it one for me, one for my roomate. We were able to keep the two apart. If you get a shower wheel chair to wheel her into the bathroom even if it won't go intothe shower itself, make sure it has a toilet in it if she has to relieve herself between that chair and shower. Then have a separate chair even with a potty pot too in the shower. It's more difficult to have to move an elderly person to a toilet before or after a shower after difficulty to get them into the bathroom and thenshower. Do what you can to make her comfort best andit will help you. Make sure you emphasize her comfort not your ease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My mom took care of my grandmother who passed just a year ago If you have insurance they have services that are VERY helpful. My grandma remembered the nurse everytime.

1.Waterless shampoo and soap

2.Buy a safety handle that secures to the tub. Easy to find at many different retailers.

3. Sometimes nice soap, shampoo and bubble baths but not just the normal stuff. If you can find something 'different for her' ie like volumizing.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2009