Don't ask, don't tell repeal on the way?

Rep. Patrick Murphy, (D-Pa.), said he was confident that a repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" would pass through Congress and make it the president's desk in months.

"This policy is going to be repealed in a short matter of time," Murphy said. As for service members who are being discharged because of their sexuality, Murphy said "If they can hold on, help is on the way. And help is going to come form the Congress and be signed into law by the president."

Murphy has 168 co-sponsors for legislation that would repeal "Don't Ask Don't Tell", as well as several commitments from party leadership that the bill will come to a vote.

Thoughts?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He said that the considerable anger directed at President Obama for failing to address the subject sooner was understandable but ultimately misplaced.

"President Obama has clearly said he wants to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell," Murphy said. "He has instructed as Commander in Chief his Secretary of Defense and chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff to be prepare to implement the policy but he has respect for the legislative branch, a co-equal branch, and said, 'Guys, I want a bill on my desk. And when it comes on my desk I'm going to sign it to repeal this.'"

Instituted during the Clinton administration as a sweep-under-the-rug compromise to having gays openly serve in the military, DADT has become an increasingly infuriating subject for gay activists as well as many in Congress and even some in the military establishment. For Clinton, too, it is a sore matter and a part of his legacy that he is particularly sensitive discussin
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have said before, I used to be against gays in the military... I have since changed my views. If they want to serve this nation and are willing to risk their lives, let them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There are way more important issues than that to worry about.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I am completely willing to defer this decision to military officials. A Jr. senator that got elected POTUS on the platform of Hope . . . not so much.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• A Jr. senator that got elected POTUS on the platform of Hope . . . not so much.

Funny it was a Jr. Senator from Illinois that held this country together almost 150 years ago. if they can do the job their sexual preference should not matter.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• if they can do the job their sexual preference should not matter

In the military and everywhere else for that matter.

Carpy it does matter to those who are affected whether YOU are concerned/ worried about it or not-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Mama- exactly-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well the military can start looking forward to some FABULOUS new uniforms lmao! Sorry BAD joke.

I think that doing this will cause more issues in the military like for instance how they handled allowing women in. Separate quarters and facilities, I am afraid they would be treated worse during boot camp etc. etc. I am afraid more hate crimes toward gays would be imminent. I seriously don't think they should expect any special treatment and be prepared for some difficult challenges. But this is just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm a vet and while I support repealing DADT, I think it has to be done right. It cannot be rushed because to allow gays to openly serve is going to be a paradigm shift some of the old salts will have a hard time handling. It's going to be like Tailhook all over again. There will have to be training in place to "teach" the servicemembers on both ends what is and is not acceptable behavior. Also, will the military recognize same sex marriages and allow same sex couples the same benefits like TRICARE, BAH, SGLI, etc? It will take time. I remember when guys could make sexist remarks in the workplace and then we had to go through red light yellow light green light training at every command. I hope it works though. I really do.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Just because the transition might be rocky does not mean that it should not be done.

Figure it out and make it happen.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2009