Did you know the effects of gatorade and powerade?

My sons dietician was here and i gave the older boys some powerade. She said what is that i said powerade its better than juices. She said do not give them that is has too much sodium and is bad for their kidneys. 2 kids in the program have had complications and the doctor also said adults don't even really need to drink it unless they have been vomiting,or had diarrea. That drew my attention. It should be on a lable.

Ashlee0323

Asked by Ashlee0323 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I knew something wasn't right with that stuff. My ped said to use pedialyte for upsets and hydration. Comes in punches of flavors now maybe even popsicles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Both are used to replenish what is lost. That is why athletes use it during or after a game. I only give it to my kids when they have diarrhea or vomiting.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• On the label it shows the amount of sodium. I don't believe someone needs to drink it unless they have a GI bug or they have been sweating immensely from working out. If you do let them drink it I would water it down greatly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Also, it contains a lot of sugar, which over time can damage the enamel on the teeth and cause decay. My daughter was a gymnast and was drinking about a gallon every other day while at practice. She was also getting more cavities and the dentist asked me if she was drinking Gatoraid and when I told him how much he said for her to stop right away and drink water instead.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It has more sugar than most soda's. We only let my son have it after his football games. Otherwise we don't touch that stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• This is all good to know. My daughter is going into college and will be playing basketball. The coach
    told the girls to drink only gatorade and not water. The coach also went on to say water dehydrates. I think this is all messed up. Also my daughter has poor enamel growth on her teeth and never realized gatorade could be very acidic I only thought about pop and juice as being acidic .
    Sounds like I need to talk to the coach.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• A dr told hubby last week that most adults would do best drinking pedialite if there was real need for something with electrolytes in it. I was told when dd11 was little that gatorade was not safe for small children so I always knew something was wrong with it from that.
    nycte

Answer by nycte at 11:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You also have to watch it for elevating blood pressure. The only time I let my kids drink it is when it is very hot and they have to run in pe. And they are 11 and 14.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• There's a reason it's called a SPORTS drink. Athletes use it to replace lost sodium, sugars, and electrolytes in their bodies after physical events. It was never really intended for everyday drinking.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I can see where she is coming from. Those are high in electrolytes and kids don't really need to replenish them unless they are throwing up or have massive diarrhea. Unless they are super atheletes. If they want something "sporty" give them a bottle of Propel--though they switched to putting HFCS in their water.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:51 AM on Aug. 15, 2009