ok ladies need help asap on breastfeeding

Ok So I tried to breastfeed but it didnt work out that well and my milk just came in and my boobs are very sore so i started pumping and my left nipple is on fire what can i do to relieve the pain ? any home remedies ? i meant to get some cream for it when i bought the pump today but i didnt and SO is at work and i have no way to the store tonight what can i do !! by the way my lil one is just 4 days

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 9:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a cold wash cloth on it. My milk always comes in late. Not until day 6. I have breastfed all of my kids I just had to supplement with formula after I nursed until my milk came in all the way. Good luck!
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It almost sounds like thrush. Keeping your nipples as dry as possible between feedings or pumpings should help. Gentian violet is also safe and effective, although a little difficult to obtain. You could probably get it at a health food store. It is used to treat fungal infections, including the yeast that causes thrush. I'm sorry you're going through this.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• How is the setting on the pump? It may need to be turned down for that side. Have you tried having your child latch on since your milk came in?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• if you can't make it to the store squeeze some breastmilk onto your nipple to sooth it
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I personally am leery of creams. I used lanolin with my son and it only seemed to dry them out more, I was also always afraid he'd end up ingesting some. If baby is only 4 days old then tenderness and pain is very normal and sadly patience is your best remedy. Mine were sore for about the first week and a half. You might try putting baby to breast, it will still hurt but I've found it hurts less than pumping. And as a pp suggested some breastmilk should help soothe it some.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Sounds like you have thrush. Info and treatment on kellymom.com.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group and we can help you get that baby on the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i had that problem several times over the past eight months. try warm/cold packs to loosen and relieve the pain- and get the baby latched on and nursing that one as much as you can if possible. beyond that, you may be able to take tylenol for the pain. if it lasts, call you dr or ask at the hospital you gave birth in to speak to a lactation specialist- they are very helpful.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i think it sounds like thrush too. Put vinager on your nipples and let them air dry
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009