Stopping bad habits or cuddling my baby?

My 16 month old DS used to sleep fine by himself but then we had to move him into our room to rent out his room. Now he only falls asleep with one of us laying in bed with him. Otherwise he cries and cries. After he falls asleep we move him to his bed. So should I make him CIO or just lay with him until he's sleeping? He's crying breaks my heart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand that the CIO breaks your heart, but at some point he will have to learn how to put himself to sleep. My LO had to CIO when we put her in her bed. I think that was the best decision that we made. Otherwise keep doing what you are doing if it works for you, but I know that it wouldn't work for us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ohhh. don't know my hubby and I coslept all three of our kids till over your baby's age. I'm sure I'll get hell for that. We still found privacy, we made three babies not triplets or twins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• No, keep doing what you are doing. You said that it was fine until you had to change his routine. Now, he has a new routine, not to mention a "new" person in his life, whomever you are renting to. He may feel insecure or scared, but safe with you & DH. He will grow out of it, but CIO just puts off his needs being met.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you do decide to CIO, I would put him in his bed and maybe stay in the room at first. Every 5 minutes get up and pat his back, let him know you are there. After a few days leave the room and return after 5 minutes of crying to reassure him. Let him know you are there. I don't think it would take very long for him to go to sleep on his own.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• How long do you plan on laying with him until he's sleeping? If he was 6 months old, I would say keep doing it. But 16 months old? You need to break that habit pretty soon. Set a goal date- eg, when he's 18 months old-and work towards him sleeping on his own. It's hard work, but you really need to do this. Laying with him until he's sleeping only benefits YOU and your hubby. It's much easier to do that then to work at helping him to develop good sleep habits. It's a short term fix that will have devastating consequences the older he gets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• CIO sometimes doesn't work. Even when used consistently.

Instead...check out drjaygordon.com and search the site for "sleep." BEST article you will ever read on transitioning baby to the family bed...it's a method that allows EVERYONE to sleep unlike CIO which ruins the whole family's sleep for the whole time you're using it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009