Pooping only once every 7 days. Normal or not?

This is my third child and have done nothing differently. I mean I'm breast feeding just like the others. I don't remember them going soo long between bm's. When he finally lets it all out, it's a bunch (2-3 diapers worth) and it stinks!!!!

detroitmamma

Asked by detroitmamma at 10:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• doc might suggest dark Karo syrup in a bottle, just a little like less than an oz.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My second born did the exact same thing!!! He was breastfed too. It was really strange. I would go through SO many outfits the day he pooped because the diaper never held it all. Lol! The doctor said it is within the bounds of what is 'normal.'. Just not as common. Most breastfed babies I know poop several times a day.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It is in the realm of normal. My DD would poop every 5-7 days. She did this for a few months. Just bear with it, and it will get better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'd be calling the dr and see what he/she says

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. She was breast fed and she would only go once every 5-7 days. When she did it was really runny and would ruin whatever clothes she had on.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• wow thats crazy i think you should take him to see his pediatrician... but im not 100% sure its unusual... my son poops once or twice a day! and always has!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son would only poop every 7 days... I was worried at first but it was just his normal. Once he started solids he started going more often.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• DO NOT USE KARO SYRUP!!! Karo syrup can harbor botulism spores which are deadly in infants.

If your child is EBF 7 days is normal (at least for your LO). Breastmilk and breastfeeding is amazing. Baby only takes in what baby needs, no overfeeding, and breastmilk is meant to be fully digested with very little waste. It truly is the perfect food!! If the stools are not hard pellets all is perfect!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I agree that it is within the realm of normal. I don't know that my daughter has gone quite that long but she will go a couple of days between bm's. I have noticed that when I slack on my water intake things slow down for her. Maybe upping your water and fruits would help even things out.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Every baby is different, but it sounds normal to me. Sometimes breast fed babies can go longer between bowel movements than non breastfed babies. But, it definitely doesn't hurt to give your doctor a ring if your concerned. My son has 3-4 monster poops. My daughter though would go weeks before having a bowel movement. It scared me but my doctor assured me she was okay.
    lovinmyair

Answer by lovinmyair at 12:22 AM on Aug. 15, 2009