Pajamas for infants...

My boyfriend and I have a disagreement on how much our 6 week old baby needs to wear when sleeping, and if a blanket should be put on him. I usually have him sleep in long sleeved, footed sleepers and either have a lightweight blanket tucked into the crib, or no blanket at all. I go in periodically through the night & check his neck & back to see if he's too cool. My boyfriend thinks a heavy, knitted blanket needs to be on him all night or he'll "freeze." He feels this way because little Christopher's hands get chilly (as is normal, to me!). Any advice would be appreciated!

OhBaby1467

Asked by OhBaby1467 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are right. Do NOT put a big heavy blanket on your baby. Your baby will not freeze, cold hands are normal, due to the baby not having great circulation yet. If you put a huge blanket in the crib, the baby can smother if it gets trapped on his head.
    You are doing the right thing, by dressing him warmly and not using a blanket.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• What you do is fine in my opinion, especially since it's summer. My 8 month old sleeps in longsleeve footed jammies as well and I usually don't use blankets when she's dressed like that except in cooler seasons. You don't want to over-do it and get him too hot. It's sweet that your boyfriend worries that he's too cold, though. Aww!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well, my little Christopher sleeps in a onesie... my little Caitlynn sleeps in a footed sleeper. He's hot natured and has been since birth and she is cold natured like me! Maybe you could try a onesie and a fleece swaddler? Oh how well our babies slept in those at that age!!!! They are so snuggly... Mine used to look like little burritos! So cute! But, to answer your question, I don't see the problem with it if he's sleeping! Babies have a tendency to let you know when they don't like something! If he's cold he will cry and if he's hot he will cry. Ask your Ped at his 8 week check up if it will set both of your minds at ease
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Thank you so much for such prompt, and informative, responses! I know I can't put a heavy blanket in there; I'm leery even to put a lightweight one in there, but I'm up most of the night anyway to check on him and feed him. I rarely get sleep anymore these days! A swaddler would make things much easier, but my little babe loves his arms to be out and moving almost constantly (that's how he fights sleep...looks like he's winding up to punch someone Popeye-style!) He definitely does not like to be wrapped up anymore. Okay, so now to get the boyfriend to stop putting the blanket in there... :o) Thanks again everybody...I'll be posting another question soon I'm sure!
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Tell him to go to the American Academy of Pediatrics website and read about SIDS - it specifically says

"Keep pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, and stuffed toys out of your baby's crib. They can cover your infant's face—even if she is lying on her back."

"Do not let your baby get too warm during sleep. Use light sleep clothing. Keep the room at a temperature that feels comfortable for an adult."

http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/Sleep.cfm

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'd go with the light weight footed jammies. . . Skip the heavy jammies until winter. . .have your hunny wrap up in a fleese blanket and see how it feels. . . it is about the same. . .

PS love the name. . . my Christopher is 22months. . .:)
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The best rule of thumb is to dress how you would dress. If you would wear heavy pajamas or a heavy blanket now how would you feel? You should dress your baby as you would dress. It's best to have jammies and better to scrap the blanket altogether or have a light blanket tucked into the crib or bassinet. Also, heavy blankets, bumpers and things like that are not recommended due to the risk of sids. It's better to dress them in a warmer onsie with no blanket than to have a blanket in the crib.
    lovinmyair

Answer by lovinmyair at 12:18 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My four month old wears long sleeved footed sleepers as well but I have two fleece Carter's ones that I'm in love with and he wears only in my room since I have to have it at 67 or 68 degrees. I put a blanket on him up to his waist though and check up on him. If you feel he's warm, don't worry about it.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• mine sleeps in a diaper with a recieving blanket. plus a fan on her.
    my apartment is so hot.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2009