Should a 7 year old get a t.v. in their room?

I am not a big fan of tv in the bedrooms and we actually have only 1 in the whole house. What do you ladies think? am I being too strict

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my mom gave me one on my 12th birthday and it ruined my sleep pattern, I would always sneak it on and turn it down really low, and be up all night watching TV...
    I am also an Insomniac, but the TV idnt help that at all...So i say NO because eventually it'll be a problem
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• sorry im not a fan of t.v period,nope your not too strict
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think you can if you put strict rules on it. Our 6 year old has one, because we had one in a family area, and when we moved there was nowhere else to put it. He knows it can't be on before 6:30 in the morning with the volume LOW, and he has to ASK or be told he can watch it before he does watch it...otherwise he'd vege out in there with the tv on all day. I also have the ratings set to PG on the cable box so he can't watch any shows rated worse than that (he mainly only watches Nick anyway though).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• No you are not. My kids, now 30 and 25, never had tv's in there rooms or phones.

Answer by louise2 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It depends on what your TV watching habits are. I personally have the TV on all day and RULE it. It is just my son and I so I put a tv in his room when he was 6.He doesn't watch it much but when he really wants to watch something he has the option of going to his room to watch it. It is a matter of taste I suppose.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my son will be having a tv in his room before he is 7. i think your being too strict. IMO, your depriving your child of one of the simplest pleasures in this life. let him be a kid!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i personally wouldnt put one in my daughters room. id say maybe when she is older...but..i dunno, i never had one in my room..and i dont think its necissary..suuuuuure it woulda been nice, but i knew that i would be up alllll night watching it..(like i do now)..ever since i moved out when i was 18, ive had a tv in my room..lol..a lil over a month ago i was housesitting at my brothers for a week, and i slept in his room..and he doesnt have a tv in his room, it was literally impossible for me to get to sleep at night, i ended up sleeping on the couch just so i could have a tv on..so yaa i really dont see myself letting my daughter have one in the near future (shes only 5 now tho)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My 3 year old has one in her room so she can watch her Barbie movies...after awhile you would go crazy listening to Barbie!! If you place strict rules on the use of the television maybe it would be a better fit for your family.
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 11:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• DO NOT put a tv in his room. The whole part of being a kid is being active with other kids and reading a book once in awhile "knowledge is power" studies show that too much creates children that are socially immature, chubby, and slows intellectual maturity. And what about family interaction---the time he spends in his room watching tv he could be talking to you about school & freinds etc. I'm sorry but if you allow any child a tv in their room its as if your telling your kid---i don't care. My kids watch a lot of tv----in the FAMILY room. I know what their watching and how much if thats strict too bad!!!!!!! they have a lot of freinds they are thin and healthy they are freinds with each other and their is a 5 year age gap. They watch anything from spongebob to mythbusters. We are turning into a generation of parents that aren't strict enough. it is OUR responsiblity to raise healthy happy kids with rules
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yah, the studies do show that TV is not good for children, especially in their own rooms.
    I'm starting to think that a TV in the house with young children is a bad idea. :-/

Instead, how about a stocked bookshelf and a nightlight?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2009