Keeping baby cool in car seat

The car seat we have for our 6 week old is made of such heavy material, no matter how cool the atmosphere, he is sweating. I've tried putting him in thin onesies with no blanket or socks, but this doesn't seem to help. We have hour long drives once or twice a week, & sometimes he stays in the carseat when we reach out destination. Doesn't seem to bother him too much, but I just hate pulling him out of the seat finding his neck & back soaked. Any suggestions?

OhBaby1467

Asked by OhBaby1467 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Point your air to the top of the car and blast it... it will help the cool air get all the way to the back
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You can always buy one of those little clip on fans that like bus drivers use on school buses. Im sure you can probably get one at like walmart or something.or even roll the window down in the back seat where he is. Just not to much so it doesnt take his breath away. Hope this helps.Let us know what you figure out
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You can put a flexible ice pack under towels and then put him on top of them, that's what i did with my son.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• He's going to sweat no matter what, just try to keep your car as cool as possible. DON'T put anything under him in the car seat. Especially an ice pack. That's way too cold for a baby. It's because his back is against the seat and there's no where for the heat to radiate too. I always have my bedroom freezing and if my son is sleeping in his swing or the bassinet his back sweats like crazy while his front is cold since I can't put a blanket higher than his waist (he's four months old). If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• His back is always going to be sweaty. It's not the carseat, it's because his back and neck are enclosed, period. When you sit, doesn't your back sometimes get a little sweaty? You can move around, he can't.

No matter what you do and cool the front of him, his back is going to be sweaty. It will be that way in his carrier, in his carseat and in his booster.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:35 AM on Aug. 15, 2009