Are these contractions?! Help please!!!

I'm 36 weeks & 4 days & been having lower back pain & feeling a "tightening" in my whole belly. The tightening is not accompanied by pain, but every once in a while I feel a pretty sharp pain across my lower back. I've been scared my whole pregnancy that I wouldn't "know" when I would go into labor b/c I have an EXTREMELY high pain tolerence!! lol...is this just normal pregnancy symptoms or is she coming soon?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds to me like brackson hicks but to be on the safe side call ur local doc or ur midwife or the emergancy room at the hospital ur having ur baby at just to make sure, good luck i hope u enjoy the birth! best wishes **hugs**
    sarahandmark09

Answer by sarahandmark09 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Some women have labor pains in the back, you may be going into labor. The main thing you need to do is to time the pains you are feeling and see how far apart they are. If they are coming on a regular basis you may be going into labor. It may also be braxton hicks. Try to wait it out just a bit, or go for a little walk, or walk around in your house a bit, sometimes braxton hicks stop during an activity like walking, but real labor gets more intense as you walk. Good Luck :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Might be just braxton hicks, but be sure to drink a LOT of water, maybe eat a snack, and rest for a bit. They should go away.
    Have you been overdoing it lately?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It sounds like braxton hicks or some prodromal labor to me. Are they lasting very long? Are they coming at consistent intervals? Do they go away if you change positions? Even if they are real contractions it sounds like the very beginning and you have some time. Do as doulala suggests and drink some water and get some rest.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I kinda have been overdoing it a little bit lately...lol! Gotta get the nursery & everything ready! Is she still going to move when I'm having contractions? Sorry if these questions seem silly, this is my 1st & I just wanna make sure I know what I'm doing...haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Some do move during contractions and some don't. I personally don't remember either of mine moving much during labor but I've heard stories of babies who have.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2009