how do i wean my baby

i have been breast feeding for 13 months & i am ready to wean my baby as she is growing too dependant on the breast,she is just too attached she wants to suckle all the time when she falls ,when she is sleepy or just when she is bored and nothing interests her,now recently she has developed this habit that at meal times she doesnt want to eat but wants the breast
i have tried putting the paste of lemon rind (bitter)so that she will find it bitter n leave it,but that doesnt stay on for long she keeps trying again n again

guys help me i am loosing it...my patience

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't do lemon rind, OK?

Drop ONE FEEDING per week. Start with the one she wwants least...often that's in the middle of the day. Don't say no, say "not now." Distract her and delay and offer something else. Water, milk, whatever. Give her another comfort item. Have DAD do bedtime. You becomw absent at bedtime; after supper you no longer exist in her world until you've achieved weaning.

But...know this. Weaning will NOT eliminate her dependency. She'll still *want* you for bedtime. She'll still be clingy for a bit...in fact, she'll be clingy LONGER if you push her to wean than she will if you just leave it. Be warned, OK? Generally all weaning does is deprive mom of a comfort tool.

x

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my litt one is 14months and im also weaning her slowly though, i feed her from both breast but i have cut her eating times down,like ill let her eat on one breast for 3 min then the other 3 min or so.becouse she sometimes seems to just want to suck just to suck,it has been working for me.i stoped feeding her on one of her naps also,she will fuss for a min then go right to sleep,shes getting to where she is starting to pull at my shirt.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009