My son is 1 years old, hes premature & he can not walk yet..whats it caused from?im young so i need help

he can not walk nor crawl..they say to massage him everyday but will that help him???

aidensmommy671

Asked by aidensmommy671 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• had a preemie too he walked at 13 months and he is just fine,i know what it feels like it sucks cause you always hear "is there something wrong ?" in the back of your head.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I dont know a lot about premies (sp?) but I do know that they tend to develop based on what theyre anticipated original due date was. For instance, say right now he is 12 months, but he was born 3 months early, that means that developmentally he should be at about a 9 months as far as milestones go. This isnt typical for all kids, but it is average.
    As far as the massaging goes, Im not sure what that does, Im assuming it helps blood flow to the muscles to help develop them. Dont be too concerned hun! All babies develop differently. I knew babies that were one, that were not premature that still didnt crawl. If youre extremely concerned, talk to the pediatrician, they will either help to put your mind at ease, or theres always an option for physical therapy, but as of now I dont think they would recommend it bc he is still young and developing. I hope that helped a bit!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My niece in law had her baby exactly a month after I had mine and her's isnt walking or crawling yet, she just sits there and she wasnt premie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My ds was 12 weeks early. He didn't walk or talk when they said he "should". Once he started, though, there was no stopping him. I wasn't told to massage him, but I was told to do exercises with him everyday. Every time I changed his diaper I had to do leg exercises - bending his legs & pushing them to his tummy, one at a time & both together. I was also told to make sure he got tummy time 10 times a day for at least 10 minutes each time.
    The tummy time was to strengthen his arms, neck & back, and the exercises were because his muscles were very tight & needed to be exercised & stretched to loosen them up.
    Maybe try something like with that with him.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 2:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You will adjust his age until he is 2 years. Once you adjust his age, that's where he "should" be developmentally.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• A lot of kids dont walk at 12 months premature or not. Its to early to start worrying about that.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2009