Eye Surgery

To make a long story short, about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with glaucoma in my left eye. I am very young to have it and it is unusual to only have it in one eye. Over the last few years we`ve tried different treatments ranging from eye drops, to oral meds to laser treatments. None have worked effectively and as a result of the pressure in my eye being high I`ve lost the sight in my eye. The last couple appts I`ve had the Dr has stated that it is a mystery as to why I have it and why it doesn`t respond to treatments. She is concerned that there is something else going on and mentioned the possibility of a hidden tumor. As a result we have decided to remove the eye. I`m not really concerned about it, but I am wondering if anyone else has had an eye removed and if they would share their story. I`m mostly wondering about recovery time from the surgery rather than adjusting to one-eyed life. Thanks in advance.

canadianmom1974

Asked by canadianmom1974 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Health

• did you check to see if it was parasites?? ive been watching this new show on animal planet called monsters inside me and there was an episode where the parasite gets in your brain and does something to one of your eyes. that was the first symptom the person experienced, was she could see out of one eye.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:32 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• couldnt**
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I hope you've gotten a 2nd and 3rd opinion. IF there is some other problem...removing the eye seems a bit drastic. Finding and TREATING the "REAL" issue needs to occur 1st!
    Lb128f

Answer by Lb128f at 1:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• At this point I have no sight in that eye, it causes me discomfort often and pain occasionally (a few times a month), the eye drops I use make it look red (I get asked if I have pink eye all the time), it looks swollen, and because there is no sight it has started to drift up and to the side. For all those reasons I want it removed. The fact that there may be a hidden tumor is just another reason for removal. My opthamologist (who specializes in glaucoma) is the second opthamologist I`ve seen, and while under her care I`ve also seen other specialists. I acutally have an appt with an eye tumor specialist next Mon. Long term, the eye was coming out anyway, it`s not something that is drastic to me, the prosthetic will look better. I almost hope that they do find a tumor or something because then hopefully my other eye will never be affected the same way.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2009